My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
John Deere 445
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8" oak limb that is about 25' up. It interferes with my security light that's mounted on a telephone pole. No overhead wires just the light. Anyhow short of getting a bucket truck, I think years ago i remember a Rope saw? like maybe 4' chain with teeth (like chain saw) with a rope on each end. You would throw one end over the limb then one person on each end would pull it back and forth.
I search for this with no luck. Anybody ever know of any such saw. My 12' pole saw gets me about halve way there. :thanku:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I remember seeing those saws. They were a kind of cable with teeth on it about 3 feet long and a ring on each end. You hooked on the amount of rope you needed and had at it. Haven't seen one of those in many years and have no idea where you would find one.

Think they were called a "Cable Saw" or something like that.

Mike

·
Registered
609 Posts
Google wire saw, I use them sometimes when I am out scouting or setting up a stand on some high branches that are in the way. Military stores or surplus stores should have them. Also most outdoors stores carry them.

·
John Deere 445
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone that's it. Any ideas on how to motorize it. :thanku:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
One like this...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_12415_12415

...will cut branches. But if you only make the one cut right near the main trunk you risk slabbing off the bark down a good ways as the branch starts to break loose. Make a first cut about 4' or so away out from the planned final cut. You can't "undercut" with one of those rope saws. BTW, I wouldn't try one of the "camping type" wire saws, they're OK for small stuff but can get gummed up in bigger wood than 4" or so.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Thanks everyone that's it. Any ideas on how to motorize it. :thanku:
Yeah hire a professional.

A man where I live, tried to save a buck. He fell to his death doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Sounds just like what your trying to do, he was on a ladder, but your standing under a 8" limb your cutting. :Stop:

·
John Deere 445
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah hire a professional.

A man where I live, tried to save a buck. He fell to his death doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Sounds just like what your trying to do, he was on a ladder, but your standing under a 8" limb your cutting. :Stop:
I'm thinking a person on each rope would be the best bet.

As long as the saw doesn't get pinched all should be good. BUT... if it does get pinched i my have to pull off a stupid human trick. :eek:mg:

·
Registered
476 Posts
How big is this limb? 8" thick is not small, but how long is it? Oak is a very dense and heavy wood. Cutting it with this rope saw will not be easy and will take a while. If its got any real length, you will most likely need to cut it several times starting from the outer end. Trying to remove it with a single cut is dangerous, even if you cut it a little ways out first its still a bad idea. Theres a lot of weight (long limb = force multipiler = a lot heavier than it looks) and unless you cut it from the smaller end and work in it will probably peel off and you will end up with a limb hanging and no way to safely get it down.

·
John Deere 445
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the links guys. I ordered one at amazon for 37 and change+free ship.
The limb is about 7-8" and maybe 15' long. If the rope not long enough so we can stand back always I'll have to add longer ropes. No way I'll be standing under it.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Next step is to find two or four stout young fellows to yank the ropes while you supervise.

Mike

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Next step is to find two or four stout young fellows to yank the ropes while you supervise.
Just be sure to yank their Ipod earphones out before they start.:D

The safest, fastest and easiest way to use one of these saws it to use one guy on each side, plenty of rope on each end standing 15'-20' or more apart. You don't get a circular cut like holding both ropes yourself and both people can see what the cut is doing (and yell if needed). The saw has far less binding as the angle is more open and moves sideways a bit more in the cut. They're still a pain in the posterior, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
The safest, fastest and easiest way to use one of these saws it to use one guy on each side, plenty of rope on each end standing 15'-20' or more apart. You don't get a circular cut like holding both ropes yourself and both people can see what the cut is doing (and yell if needed). The saw has far less binding as the angle is more open and moves sideways a bit more in the cut. They're still a pain in the posterior, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
great tip Hydro I'll give that a try next time.My girls might not be to happy with you though!:thThumbsU:sidelaugh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts