My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STX38 1998 Yellow Deck, Manual Trans, Kohler 12.5HP

My PTO was not working, I took it off and apart and cleaned it, works well now, BUT-

When I went to put it back together, I have a left over bushing, I do not remember it coming off and I cannot find a good blow-up that shows the exact part.

Notice the ring has a single protrusion on the inside.

The only place it "seems" to fit is on the end that will be mounted to the crankshaft ???-

I show one pic of the ring alone, two pics of the PTO with the ring on it (same part just at different angles), and one pic of the PTO without the ring-

PTO is Warner 5215-7 (I do not see that part for a JD only a CC but it came that way...)

Any guidence is appreciated!

Ring

Ring on-1

Ring-on-2

Ring Off

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you try the exploded views on the John Deere Parts site catalog?
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
yup, I looked there, but it is unclear.

it appears this clutch may be for another unit but works on the STX38. The warner 5215-7 appears to go on a club cadet...

anyone else know for sure?

I guess I can run it without ands see what fails... :)

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks like there's a bulge that would align with the keyway so if I had to guess I'd say it goes above the PTO, possibly in between the PTO and main drive pulley.
So installed like in this image.

I "think" that may be it, the blow-up seems to indicate that but the part is just not clear enough in the image...

and the "ring" fits over the end of the clutch (see pic) perfectly, the buldge seems to center the part not make it offset like you might think...

maybe the buldge is a scraficial part should something get stuck..

BUT as you can see the ring is wider than the shaft, so the shaft keyway has no effect on the nub, and the shaft is linear, does not get wider or stepped at the top.

If I put on the way it is in the picture, it will get pressed between the inner bearing race and the pully attached to the engine shaft. That does not sound right does it??

as always any input is appreciated! :trink40:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no one knows where this bushing goes??

I guess I am in good company then! :trink40:

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
I still think it goes either above or below the PTO on the shaft. In your pic #2 the bulge that would align with the keyway is 180 deg. out from the keyway. I'd guess it goes above the PTO opposed to below since I don't see a need for one below.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and the winner is Herd of Deeres...

I got a pic of a clutch for sale on eBay... now it is clear that when the clutch engauges the inner shaft comes up a bit this bushing gives it room to move on the shaft...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts