My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a used John Deere riding tractor. The purpose would be to mow up to 1 acre. Maybe eventually plow the driveway.

Most people speak highly of John Deere. Anyone recommend a particular year or model?

Since I just purchased a house money is tight so I can't buy new. I was looking at the late 90's models. 42" deck is perfect for me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
X500 owner
21 Posts
Before my x500 I had a GT235. It was a great unit and had a 48" deck with hydro. For an acre of ground I wouldn't go any smaller than a 48". You can use the part of the deck that sticks out on the left side to trim under shrubs or around trees. You could get one of those for under 2k i'm sure.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I'd also vote for a GT 225/235/245. Late 90's early 2000's, Could get anything from 42" to 54" decks. I've got a '02 GT235/48" deck, has been a very fine machine. It cost $3999 new, should be able to find one in great shape for around $1750-$2300.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why not look for a LX mower? It would also fit his needs very well and likely be a bit cheaper then a GT.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would recommend a GT 275....they sold new for around 4500 bucks in the mid-late 90's, very good machine. 48 inch deck on most of them, 17 HP single cyl Kawasaki, will get your 2 acres done in about an hour to hour and a half if you don't have a bunch of stuff to drive around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah she's already gone. You knew it wouldn't last through the whole auction. I hope someone from the forum bought it. it was tough choice between this one and the one I got but location played a big role in the decision.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Try ebay. I sold my LX 178 that way. It was a good machine. You may find something local that is used and worth it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts