My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I can see it's going to be a almost never-ending journey, this garden thing. So keeping a bit of a photo journal - here's a few pics.

#1 Had a big hump in the garden to be zone -neighbor came over w/ big tractor, found out it was a lot of rocks.

#2 From the deck, you can see my #2 cedar and my soil mix. The slab was from a old storage shed, which I hope to put a greenhouse or a coop for free range chickens in the future.

#3 5.00 a load Alpaca Poop. No burn, mixed with sand. I have clay and rock soil, so sand and 70% fiber in the poop will make thing better.

#4 - finely the soil dried out enough that my neighbor with the big tractor w/tiller came over and did the mosh pit thing on the piles that weren't meant for the raised beds. I'm holding the corn I started for this area. --TBC---

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
#5 is just a shot showing my neck of the woods w/ Doug Fir and Cub Cadet in the background. In the boxes I have tomatoes, squash, and salad stuff.

#6 Well the corn is in the ground w/its soaker hose.

Since these were taken, cutworms, cabbage moths and deer have made their presence known.

But I shall win. :i_praying

Sheila

Attachments

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Looking good! Good luck with it, and thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, kinda cool up here in the foothills of the Cascade's, so thought I would get a jump on things. But I have been told now that Corn roots don't like being transplanted, unless in like biodegradable peat pots, or TP tubes.

I was out till 9:00 at night (cooler) with a mister on to keep the roots moist while I was pulling from the plastic seed/grow cell to stick them in the mosh pit.

I'll learn!

Sheila

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hee, hee - thanks for the kind comments gang! We had a long cool wet spring that really messed with folks planting of early stuff like snow peas ect. Of course with my clay soil/virgin lawn turning into garden, tilling while wet just would make big clods. I've read now where this transplanting thing may stunt the corn, making the ears lower to the ground, but that's fine - I'm lower to the ground too! Our freeze date here is about May 15-21 or when the snow's gone from Silver Spur Mountain.

Also, though a rookie at the garden thing, note the wonderful shooting angle from the deck to the garden. Marty doesn't want me popping Bambi, but I enjoy having the option. Meat and Potatoes gal that I am.

Later!

sheila

·
Registered
616 Posts
Great Pics!:congrats: I grow my corn from seeds also!plant them close to each other in the rows then thinning them out when they are few inches high,this way if some dont come up which seems to happen to me!i can transplant some to spots where it didnt come up.Transplanting works well with me if i do it quick and take a good amount of soil with it.If you can! i would put a fence around the garden or those critters visiting the garden will get a full belly.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great looking garden! The soil looks really nice with the additives. I think the shooting angle is really good too :thThumbsU

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah yes, fencing --- Starting out w/ 4' graduated square field fence with a hot wire about 8" above ground. This for raccoons, possums, porcupines, bunnies, critters like that. Then I'll deal with Bambi, birds and whatever else come to my buffet. Just got to bribe some of my bigger friends to come out for a fence party - I just cant lift those 330' rolls of wire fence.

So much to do - but all it take is time, money and planning - I do have 2 out of 3!

I did stick some of the leftover corn seed in the ground to see what happens, couldn't waste the water in that row!

Night all!

sheila

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sheila nice pic's, your doing a fine job on the garden. I have to agree it does't look like a rooky job:thThumbsU . Love the pic of the background. I'm an old country farm boy and there is nothing better than woods and field. Thanks for the pic's.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Looks nice!!! I bet you will do good thins year. I always had the best luck the first year. I wonder if its the new unworked soil. Second year is normaly a bust, becouse the last year "used up" the soil, and I had not got a handle on what it needs yet.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep Ingersoll444, the virgin soil will probably forgive many of my gardening goofs this year. After harvest, I'll start dumping more poop, leaves, hay,sawdust, lime, and might take a run to the coast for some seaweed to toss in the mosh pit. let it rot all this winter, then till it all in. For the boxes, I have a recipe mix a organic horticulturist gave me to boost it in the spring. It's great because it doesn't "salt" up the soil.

D-dogg - Honesty, do you forget that this is the girl gardener? :00000060: I love to shop for garden stuff. I saved at least 1.28 per roll buying fence in bulk!
:)

Later! Got to go check my Mole traps---

Sheila

1 - 16 of 16 Posts