My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing roller rests go by on ebay, and having a hard time swallowing the prices. I'm tempted to just go over to the shop and make one. Can anybody take some measurements for me? I'd want to duplicate the height of the round socket, the depth of the socket, the length of the end with the roller, and the diameter of the roller.

TIA...

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Give me a little bit, I'll go measure one up for you. I'll have to take it off the cart which means taking it out from behind the tractor.. but I can handle that.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Duplicating a roller rest is no trivial matter. The amount of stress on it is substantial. If you have a mill and some large round end endmills, it isn't too bad. I figure about 3 hours or so.

If it were me I would just spend the bucks. Feel the pain once and get it over with. (you can see what my time is worth to me)

I have no need for one so I don't have one.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,734 Posts
I keep seeing roller rests go by on ebay, and having a hard time swallowing the prices. I'm tempted to just go over to the shop and make one. Can anybody take some measurements for me? I'd want to duplicate the height of the round socket, the depth of the socket, the length of the end with the roller, and the diameter of the roller.

TIA...
I couldn't get to mine because it was raining earlier.
Socket area is 1.5" high.
Inside docket depth is 1.25" to the start of the curve.
Socket ID is 1.5"
Socket OD is 2.25"
Roller is .75" wide
Roller OD is 1.5"
Shank OD is 1.375"
Center of socket to center of roller is 3.75"
Center of socket to start of shank for sulky, etc is 1.25"
Center of socket to pin hole is 2.25"
Center of socket to end of shank is 3.375"
Center of socket to roller end of roller rest is 4.25"

This unit may be worn in some measurements but does work correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duplicating a roller rest is no trivial matter. The amount of stress on it is substantial. If you have a mill and some large round end endmills, it isn't too bad. I figure about 3 hours or so.

If it were me I would just spend the bucks. Feel the pain once and get it over with. (you can see what my time is worth to me)

I have no need for one so I don't have one.
That matches my estimate.

I do have a miller and an assortment of end mills. I haven't checked to see if I have one which exactly matches the dimension, but I figure that it doesn't have to be exact.

We'll see. It's not like I don't have enough projects...

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Whew! Glad someone else had time to pull one for you. I got wrapped up in things I had to do today and never got the L and cart apart. Thanks Don!!

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditto, Thanks Don :)

I see another one lurching by on ebay. Meanwhile, I'll take those dimensions and make up an engineering drawing, and root around in the shop and see if I can find a suitable piece of scrap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts