My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my White rear engine (MTD) And i couldn't get it back on. So i found that the wheels and tires from my shop hand truck would go right on with a small spacer to take up some spindle length slop. They are just a little smaller but have tubes and 2 piece rims so i just might leave them on. The mower runs just fine with them...Bob

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Oh, please :wwp:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I got so sick of my hand truck having a flat tire every time I went to use it,I put sme solid tires off an old sit down mower I scrapped on it instead!..I've used it to roll a few V8's around with no issues so far!..they are wider too,so it dont sink in the dirt so easily too!..

Those little 4.10x3:50x 4" tires are THE worst to change,or put a tube in,IMO--thats why the GOOD rims, are the type that are bolted together in two halves!..makes life a lot easier!..

A word of warning tough,dont be stupid enough to unbolt those style rims with an inflated tire still on them--one kid I know tried that on one,and it flew apart with such force it almost broke his jaw and knocked a tooth out when it hit him in th face..he was fixing his mini-bike,trying to get the sprocket off to replace it,and never thought to deflate the tire first..OUCH!..

·
UK Poster
241 Posts
We hate thes wheels, they leak and if the pressure gets too low they pop off the rim, sometimes the tyres are already off the rims when the machines are delivered new.

You can get the tyres back on, but it is hard work. We always fit tubes to these as it stops this happening so often.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
There are many ways to get tubeless tires back on to a rim some methods are safer than others for example this is a trick I have use very often and you don't need anything special just a bit of rope.
Using a length of rope put around the middle of the tire and the passed through a loop on the other end of the cord and pulled down tight as you can to squeeze the middle of the tire , like using a men's belt,only you would want to remove or tape down the metal bar to keep the belt from buckling . This helps in getting the bead to seal just enough to then let you re-inflate the tire .
Of course you should make sure the rims are clean and coated with a bit of liquid soap to help the bead slide more easily.
Once the tire starts to inflate loosen the rope quickly, you don't want to have the tire snap the rope , then continue to fill the tire until it pops into place .

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
dang , I forgot to mention an air compressor and tire chuck :sorry1:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Funny thing is... I have a JD 57 that has no front wheels, and I was thinking of robbing my handtruck of it's tires too!:ROF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts