My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky the grand male dog of the house made his final sleep today April 25, 2018.

Rocky came into our existence and home 15 years ago and was a 1-2 year old Springer mix. He was the best pound puppy we have ever got. He introduced himself by going to my wife's leg and tried to hump it. He came to me after getting rebuffed by my wife and growl at me while his tail was going a 100 MPH's and I petted him. He then went back to the wife and sat down and wanted to be petted.

He was a 3 time loser on finding a permanent home as he growled at almost all males and other dogs. What the others failed to see was he wagging his tail whenever he growled. He just had poor social skills in knowing that dogs do not growl when they want to play but once you were past the growls he just wanted to play. He was different in that.

We took him home and boy was I ever glad I took a portable kennel for him as he was a bit on the wild side in the car and he always was so he was never allowed to travel unless in a kennel. He would carry on for 15-20 minutes and I swear you could up on the roof and he sound like a siren he barked so much. Once we were on the road for after the first 15-20 minutes he simply go to sleep and rest for the next.

At home he meet Penny our a sprayed female Brittany and he was already fixed so they played for a good hour wrestling, growling and barking and carrying on. Penny was so happy to have a playmate her size again after she lost Nickie our 2nd Brittany. Penny died a year later after getting hit by a car in our driveway.

Just before going to work I take Penny and Rocky for a mile and half walk so they could burn off the energy and then bring them into our yard and let them loose to run and play. This was also repeated after work every night for the next 13 years. When I retired last year I continued the walks as both boys loved it.

After we lost Penny we got Ricky and Rocky had a new playmate. I never realized that springers had a to me a crazy game of chicken. They would go to opposite sides of the yard then charge each other at full speed and at the last instant both turn and slam into each other. I called it the springer slam. Those 2 did for over ten years and it was a riot for long time before Ricky actually could Rocky tumbling. They actually never hurt each other doing the springer slam so I let them do it.

Once all the energy was burned off they would come into the house and greet me and my wife and then eat and then go and lay down. If I called Aso (Tagologfor dog) Rocky would come charging up and growl at me for a few minutes and then accept petting and love.

Over the last few months Rocky finally started the normal decline and the walks we did got shorter and shorter until he could no longer go on them. The mind was willing the body was just not able to continue them. The decline was was not swift and as the vet told us today at 16-17 year old he was actually a very tough dog to go as long as he has gone.

Rocky thank you for coming into our home and allowing us to have you as our pet you will be missed and my wife and I love you. He were always completely different then any other dog we had and you had a great dog attitude all your own. GRRR GRRR RUFF.

Attachments

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Losing an old dog like Rocky is no different than losing an old human friend.
As you are very aware (from the loss of your Penny), the hurt seems unbearable at first, but time will ease the hurt and leave the memories!

Take Care Michael...

·
Administrator
20,941 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your good friend. Please accept our condolences.

Brad and Linda

·
16,283 Posts
Sorry about your loss, also. ay the good times and the happy faces stay in your memory forever.

glenn

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for posting in honor of Rocky. He was special to us and always will be. He is being cremated and will be returned to us. We have the ashes of Nickie, Penny and soon Rocky.

Folks do me a favor and PLEASE check your local pound for your next pet. Almost all are special and loving. They appreciate what ever they get and Rocky was one of those pound puppies that was special for us. 15 years is a long time and he came from a pound.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,901 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the kind thoughts on Rocky, Tomorrow we will be picking up his cremated remains and these will join Nickie (cancer) and Penney (hit by a car in our driveway) both of whom were cremated after they died.

Rocky was our third dog to die and we had one cat for 21 years Brownie who died in her sleep and her cremated remains are also with us.

I have also notified the vet office, our local Humane Society and the pet rescue folks that we are in the search for a medium sized spaniel mixed preferred youngish dog. We prefer a young adult dogs as we had better luck and we get past the first year of raising a dog getting it housebroke and all that nonsense. My wife really wants a third again as she likes the interplay that three dogs have. I personally prefer to wait and we will find the right dog when the time comes and it has to fit in with our other two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts