My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don't recall if I posted this at "that" other forum but

My one dachsund scooter blew out 5 disks in his back and was essentially paralyzed.......Don;t know how it happened as he was fine one minute and the next he could not walk........so we made an emergency run on a Saturday night to the vet, where they did emergency surgery, with no guarantee on the outcome.............Things looked kind of gloomy for the little fellow for a few weeks, but he has once again started to walk, and yesterday he is even wagging his tail..........does not have 100% of control like he used to, but he is getting it back everyday, and the vet believes he will recover 100%. If that was not bad enough the first weekend we had him home after he blew out his back, he stopped eating, started to run a fever, quite drinking and eating........so once again on a Saturday night had to make another run to the vet. He spent 7 more days in the doggie hospital, as he ruptured his colon due to constipation, and had one severe blockage in his intestines....all caused by a certain medication he had to take........but he is now up and doing the dachshund thing, digging up the yard, and doing just great. Attached is an image of his incision..........which is around 8" in length...

That little fellow cost us some $$$$$$$$ but what are you gonna do when he is family.........just seeing his tail wag made it all worth the time and money it took....now the only problem is he is not supposed to jump, or go steps......yea right, try and keep a dachshund or any other dog from doing those things..........The wife insisted I make ramps so they could walk up the ramp to get on the sofa and bed etc. It took a bit of time to get them into using the ramps, which they all do (excpet Scooter as its still too early for him to do it) but they certainly do not use it to get off the bed etc, they just fly though the air.........but at least we eliminated about 50% of the high risk activity with the ramps.

I appologise somehow or other I thought I made a separate post but evidently I replied to Michaels..............sorry ! If it can be moved please move. :confused:

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
I'm glad hes doing better. What did they have to do to the disks so he could walk?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hi Chip Glad to see you! Yes that was one of your last posts at TF from what I remember. I'm so glad things are going well! I was a little afraid he may be paralyzed when I read that first post. Although I'm sure he would have had the slickest doggie wheel chair imaginable! :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
jodyand said:
I'm glad hes doing better. What did they have to do to the disks so he could walk?
When the disks ruptured, it aloows them to drop down, pinching the spinal cord. If its left any length of time in this condition it usually kills the cord, and recovery is usually not possible. Its all a time thing as the quicker that surgery can be performed, the better the odds are of a recovery.......but to what extent is anyones guess. What they do is remove the donut between the disks,, and its called fenestration......If a donut leaks it goes cockeyed, or pushes on a slant, and buy removing the jelly substance that acts like a shock absorber between the disks brings them back in line and even again. They also cut off the top ridge of the disks, to give more clearance around the spinal cord. You can have two different types of ruptures......one is caused by a slow seep of the jelly stuff, happens over a period of time, and usually shows up as a dog that hunches up when walking or squalls when you touch his back or pick it up, but they can usually still walk.....but they resemble a dog with a bad belly ache or a total rupture when it blows out all at once and imediate paralysis occurs. I forget the names they have for these two types of disk problems, but he blew his out and was instantly paralyzed......doing the typical dachshund thing. From the time he blew his back out, he was in surgery within an hour........so we certaily did not waste anytime as that little fellow was hurting bigtime........almost had to take the wife to the ER to get her some meds to calm her down.....I think she had a tougher time of it than Scooter did.......I have to admit, I was pretty broke up with it as well..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
sixchows said:
Hi Chip Glad to see you! Yes that was one of your last posts at TF from what I remember. I'm so glad things are going well! I was a little afraid he may be paralyzed when I read that first post. Although I'm sure he would have had the slickest doggie wheel chair imaginable! :D
I certainly had visons of him in a cart........and had started to gather up materials just incase, but the wife siad think positive......give him time and see how things turn out.........But your right, it would have been a slick cart, hand cast aluminum wheels w/pneumatic tires, mini shock absorbers made from gas struts, titanium frame for ultra light construction, my two friends and I had it all planned out if it became necessary. I can't weld Titanium with the equipment I have, but he could, so it was gonna be a first rate doggie cart........

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
WoW Chip! That's quite a long incision. I'm glad to hear he's doing OK..Our pets sometimes become a member of the family...Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sorry to hear about your weiner Chip...

They can and do become like family, I have two doxies (well, the wifey does) but I have become attached to them, I try to keep them from hurting their backs, but you can't be there all time and from what I understand, anything can rupture those discs, stairs, jumping, etc... Glad he is doing ok now.

Our long haired one now has some kind of degenerative bone disease that three vets and a sh*t load of $$$$$$$$ can't figure out. He is to the point now he can't walk, he will stand to do his business outside, then he rolls to either side of it. It's a sad sight to watch. I am looking in to those doggie wheel chairs, but the vet said his front legs probably wouldn't hold out enough to pull him around for long. Only 8 yr old, so who knows.

Here's the two doxies with our JRT and my lil' mutt.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sorry to hear that about yur fur baby Jeff. Yep, they are family so what are you gonna do........your gonna try and make things right if possible. Its all part of being a responsible master.....Around this area , actually the south and the ********, they would not do anything, even the price of a shotgunm shell is too much for some to spend. I had a co-worker back when I worked, whose dog broke his back leg, and it was pathetic....He would not do anything about it. He used to take a lot of abuse do to it from lots of us at the time. One day I said why do you not just shoot the poor dog instead of letting it suffer, to which his reply was Thats a 25 cent shotgun shell for a dog! No way!.......I brought in a 12 ga 000 buck shell and handed it to him at work during lunch, and said here, use it or take the dog to the vet.....The next day he handed me an expended shell. Pityfull excuse for a person.....

have you tried those cosequin DS tablets on you doxie? We started all 6 of our dogs on it at a theraputic level and have now reduced it down to maintenance level. It virtually eliminated the limp in our German Shepherd, who had both hips repaired due to dysplacia about 5 or 6 years ago. It seems to do them good.......The GSD is also on Deramaxx (used to use Rimadyll) but the Deramaxx is some good stuff also. We usually only have to give her the Deramaxx if she is rough housing and running crazy all day outside keeping up with me on the tractor and in the pond swimming etc.

Lots of luck with your Doxie..........they are some fabulous dogs.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our pets are our companions and they are wonderful additions to our homes. I have always got 2nd hand dogs from the pound and my favorite saying is the one I saw at the Seattle Puredred Dog Rescue is:
"2nd hand dogs, 1st Class LOVE"
I think that it says it best has all my pets were pound (rescue pets)

Edit: Even my avaqtar is one of my favorites with all of my 6'6" frame on the floor playing with my springer, not bad for a soon to be 48 year old man. :00000057:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts