My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
:congrats: The Rockol looks good. Nice tin and original condition. I look forward to seeing more pics of this tractor during the restoration process.

RYJBA

:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
its rated as a 2-3 14" plow tractor found some info in a late 40's i&t red book will have to try again and scan that to post on here. the scanner and i had a bit of a fight the other night............ it won

·
Registered
114 Posts
mmmm :rauch10: This will put the tractor close to the ZT Moline then; mebbe this will turn into a relatively easy restoration; looks fairly complete. Good luck to You guys. :trink39: :fing32:

·
Registered
114 Posts
What issue of AP was this article in? Don't have all of them;if so i will read the issue; for some reason i can't expand the page on this puter.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i can't remember wich issue they said it was i just got a reprint of the article from AP. the 5 pages were worth 1/2 a subscription but it is interesting to read

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks a bunch there bear; i will go through my AP issues; if they provide that service, there are several other articles i want them to send a copy of. Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice piece; many thxx for putting it on for us!! For those who're interested in these tractors, do a little digging on Jacob Love, Dave Friday, and the OMC man (Ostergard?) (gas engine magazine has some nice pieces on their website archives) who all built a few, along with other things. All are fascinating characters in their own right, completely apart from building some of the Custom-style. Apparently the later Customs were available with Chrysler straight 8's (some reports say other than Chrysler engines were put in at customers request) and either Love or Friday added a two-speed rear, possibly another Eaton. There were also two others, reportedly named Closson and Wilson, who built a few, reportedly calling them Clossons or Wilsons, depending on who put them together, but I've never researched them. Fascinating story.
One party reported that with the CO-OPs, there was an arrangement whereby anyone with one could call their local Chrysler/Dodge truck dealer, take their tractor in, and have a rebuilt engine swapped in one day at a reduced rate, but I haven't seen anything to show such an agreement (if it was more than some local arrangement)was continued with the Customs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi:
Robert Nicholson here, I just joined MTF this AM. I'm curious about the photo of the Rockel tractor you posted. I note it has a single exhaust.
Does it have a six cylinder or an eight cylinder engine. I'm trying to put together an article on the eight cylinder tractor and looking for material and photos that I can document.
Thanks in Advance

Bob (among the better names I've been called)
Bear,

This what I could find...

"Albertamike, Reguarding your question about Rockol tractors,They were actually built by the Harry A. Lowther Co. in Shelbyville Indiana.I believe they were first offered in 1947.By the late 1950's they were being built by the custom tractor mfg. co.in Hustisford Wisconsin.The Canadian tractors were the same machine except they were given different names.The tractors in eastern Canada were sold under the Rockol name and the tractors in western Canada were sold under the Regal name.One unique factoid about Customs was that they had a gyrol fluid drive transmission,I dont know if the Rockol or Regal tractors did.I live in eastern Kansas and have actually seen a few Customs here,one of which is not far from my home.I hope to someday soon become the owner of that tractor.Hope this helps!"

An Auction:
* Rockol 98 Fluid Drive tractor c/w rubber tires, pto, Type.SA-336, SN#57785 C$1750.00

Uncle Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clueless, I can agree with you. when I was younger and knew everything, someone said "brains" and I thought they said "trains", and I hired out! By the time I retired 36 years later, I found out there was a lot I didn't know and never found out, because I was too busy digging furrows with my nose to take time to find out!

Also, "clueless", Bob

Re' "clueless": it's because the more you learn, the more you realise you have left to learn...answering questions often raises more questions, and you never really catch up. And , as in this case, I've never even seen one of these; everything came from other peoples books and websites. All I did was get curious and try to build a timeline, which, I'm sure, has been done dozens of times before, and is probably all down on the web somewhere, if I just had the sense (or intelligence) to know just how to phrase the search. My father used to say "...whatever you can't figure out how to do with your brain you'll wind up doing with your back...", and, by Gosh, he was right. Take care.

·
Organized Chaos!
243 Posts
Hi:
Robert Nicholson here, I just joined MTF this AM. I'm curious about the photo of the Rockel tractor you posted. I note it has a single exhaust.
Does it have a six cylinder or an eight cylinder engine. I'm trying to put together an article on the eight cylinder tractor and looking for material and photos that I can document.
Thanks in Advance

Bob (among the better names I've been called)
Hey Bob:Welcome1:

Not a great deal of info out there compared to other tractors, but I have seen these tractors with duel exhaust which would make one believe that it could have an 8 cyl in it. Could be just 2 manifolds serving 3 cylinders each from the straight 6... not sure on that one though.
All other sources point to this Co using the 6 cyl Chrysler Industrial engine.

Far as I know several Models were available those being the 96, 98, B, C, E, and H.

Built by the Harry A. Lowther Co. in Shelbyville Indiana. I believe they were first offered in 1947. By the late 1950's they were being built by the custom tractor mfg. co. in Hustisford Wisconsin.

Apparently the Harry Lowther Custom Co. also made the Wards, Regal, & Norseman which were basically the same tractor as the Rockol with a few minor changes here & there.

I uploaded a Simple Rockol FD98 Fluid Drive Tractor Brochure that I own on the (Other Brands Forum) you can check it out here.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/187-other-brands/995002-rockol-f-d-98-fluid-drive-tractor-brochure.html

Hope this helps a bit! Cheers! :kens:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob:

Thanks much for your reply. The only six cylinder Customs I am familiar with have always had dual exhausts. The one eight cylinder I know of (so far) has a single exhaust. Also, it has a regular clutch in it, while some of the messages I have seen here indicate that the fluid drive may have been used on the the eight as well. I can see I have my work cut out for me on this project!

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
RN/Bob---My God!! Ten years since this thread started---you'll forgive me, I'm sure, for not thanking your reminding me ten years've slipped away, like the man said "...like quicksilver thru a nest of cracks..."...
More to the point at hand, check the Lehr Tractor thread now ongoing on this same forum for more info...
Didn't review article today, don't know if mentioned part of the original CO-OP ad campaign was getting one a ticket for speeding thru town---they reportedly would do 35 mph...
I never was able to run down whether there were other "model community CO-OP factories" set up like Arthurdale, nor was I able to run down the woman, reportedly a daughter of someone originally involved in the design or production, that was, again reportedly, writing a history of the CO-OP-Customs...
(Sigh)---too many questions; too little time... Bud Tierney

·
Organized Chaos!
243 Posts
RN/Bob---My God!! Ten years since this thread started---you'll forgive me, I'm sure, for not thanking your reminding me ten years've slipped away, like the man said "...like quicksilver thru a nest of cracks..."...
More to the point at hand, check the Lehr Tractor thread now ongoing on this same forum for more info...
Didn't review article today, don't know if mentioned part of the original CO-OP ad campaign was getting one a ticket for speeding thru town---they reportedly would do 35 mph...
I never was able to run down whether there were other "model community CO-OP factories" set up like Arthurdale, nor was I able to run down the woman, reportedly a daughter of someone originally involved in the design or production, that was, again reportedly, writing a history of the CO-OP-Customs...
(Sigh)---too many questions; too little time... Bud Tierney
Hey Clueless welcome back! :howdy: and yes I also heard these tractors were a speed demon.

The posts may get old, but the info on them still remains a great source for others who are repairing or needing some pics for restoration.

Drop back in Oct to check out your 10 Year Badge! lol

Cheers! :coffee:

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone know anything about these tractors i've only ever seen one other rockol other than the one i bought saturday, and i really haven't seen it yet only pictures. what i've found out then was they were made from 48-53 with chrysler 6 cyl flathead and doge truck trans and rear end. they look a lot like jumbo tractor in wendels book and similar to a simpson tractor i've seen at a local show. i haven't ryjba co-op tractor for a few years but there are some similarities there to if i remember correctly. but then the chrysler drivetrain was a popular setup in the post war years
heres a link to auctioneers pics (i hope)
http://69.20.5.106/2/F/lots/0000000549-[[000]]___.htm
I have a Rockol 1 qt. oil can, supplied by the Rock Oil Co. Ltd. Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I cannot find another anywhere on the internet. Do you know anything about this? Was it made for the Rockol Tractors? Any info you can provide would be great.
Thank you.
Sharon
[email protected]

21 - 38 of 38 Posts