My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does anyone know anything about these tractors i've only ever seen one other rockol other than the one i bought saturday, and i really haven't seen it yet only pictures. what i've found out then was they were made from 48-53 with chrysler 6 cyl flathead and doge truck trans and rear end. they look a lot like jumbo tractor in wendels book and similar to a simpson tractor i've seen at a local show. i haven't ryjba co-op tractor for a few years but there are some similarities there to if i remember correctly. but then the chrysler drivetrain was a popular setup in the post war years
heres a link to auctioneers pics (i hope)
http://69.20.5.106/2/F/lots/0000000549-[[000]]___.htm

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
link doesn't seem to work but if you type in the address including the letters that didn't turn blue it works i tried to save the pics to my computer that worked but then i can't open them
sorry for the inconvenience and my inability to run a computer

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Bear,

This what I could find...

"Albertamike, Reguarding your question about Rockol tractors,They were actually built by the Harry A. Lowther Co. in Shelbyville Indiana.I believe they were first offered in 1947.By the late 1950's they were being built by the custom tractor mfg. co.in Hustisford Wisconsin.The Canadian tractors were the same machine except they were given different names.The tractors in eastern Canada were sold under the Rockol name and the tractors in western Canada were sold under the Regal name.One unique factoid about Customs was that they had a gyrol fluid drive transmission,I dont know if the Rockol or Regal tractors did.I live in eastern Kansas and have actually seen a few Customs here,one of which is not far from my home.I hope to someday soon become the owner of that tractor.Hope this helps!"

An Auction:
* Rockol 98 Fluid Drive tractor c/w rubber tires, pto, Type.SA-336, SN#57785 C$1750.00

Uncle Greg

Attachments

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
C.H. Wendel book: Custom MFG.Co. at Shelbyville in 1948, by 1950, what appeared to be the same tractor was being built by Lowther. By 1953, the Custom reappeared at Hustisford, Wisc.
The Custom was built in 2 sizes
The ER (tricycle) and EW (wide) front axle powered by Chrysler Industrial 8 250.6 CI
The HR and HW powered by Chrysler Industrial 6 230.2 CI
Both had 5 forward speeds and fuild drive couplings

·
13,711 Posts
Never seen one but they look pretty!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tried to do some research on the Rockol also but could not find too much information. It would be interesting to see that one other one and compare them from front too back. I attatched some pics of my Co-op they have same engine and similar tin work.

Looking forward to hearing more about the tractor!!! :fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Rockol is actually near the end of a long and sometimes confused line, beginning (I think!) with the original late 30's CO-OPs (Farmers Union Central Exchange, built by Duplex Printing Press Co and/or Duplex Machinery Company in three models :#1, with a 4cyl Wauk FC, and #2 and #3 with the Chrysler 6 cyl ind engine, a Clark-built? HD/2T? 5-spd Dodge Trk trans, a reduction box and a Dodge trk diff/final drive (these were the original 35MPH tractors).(Sources differ on almost every detail). Some were built at Arthurdale, W VA, at one of FDR's model villages; one Arthurdale report says others were built "at other locations under similar agreements"(other model villages?)and one report refers to a plant in Minneapolis, these last labelled "Farmers Union CO-OPs", rather than just CO-OP.
All prod supposedly ended in WW II, but there are pix and references to 42, 44 and 45 models(!)
In 1945/6 Cockshutt took over the name, but (I understand) using their own running gear.
The Chrysler Cptn running gear design then showed up as Custom tractors (Harry A Lowther Co etc.) being sold under the names Custom, Lehr Big Boy, Jumbo, which may be Simpsons Jumbo, Montgmy Ward, Norseman, Love, Friday (Dave Friday supposedly added a 2-spd diff for 10 spds forward!) Rockol and Regal, and probably some I missed. Some reportedly had Chrysler straight 8's!!
It's a confused, fascinating story; around a dozen cooperatives and companies/corporations were involved in the confused line of descent. The design seem to've died out in the mid-50s or so.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info clueless the more i dig into this the more confused i'm getting to i've got some good info from western development museum linking a bunch of these companies together ...
what it looks like to me in a nutshell after ww2 there was a serious shortage of tractors and a pile of surplus military items to be had one company likely had a patent or pat pending a least and the rest built under a contract or built slightly different to get around the patent

·
13,711 Posts
clueless said:
The Rockol is actually near the end of a long and sometimes confused line, beginning (I think!) with the original late 30's CO-OPs (Farmers Union Central Exchange, built by Duplex Printing Press Co and/or Duplex Machinery Company in three models :#1, with a 4cyl Wauk FC, and #2 and #3 with the Chrysler 6 cyl ind engine, a Clark-built? HD/2T? 5-spd Dodge Trk trans, a reduction box and a Dodge trk diff/final drive (these were the original 35MPH tractors).(Sources differ on almost every detail). Some were built at Arthurdale, W VA, at one of FDR's model villages; one Arthurdale report says others were built "at other locations under similar agreements"(other model villages?)and one report refers to a plant in Minneapolis, these last labelled "Farmers Union CO-OPs", rather than just CO-OP.
All prod supposedly ended in WW II, but there are pix and references to 42, 44 and 45 models(!)
In 1945/6 Cockshutt took over the name, but (I understand) using their own running gear.
The Chrysler Cptn running gear design then showed up as Custom tractors (Harry A Lowther Co etc.) being sold under the names Custom, Lehr Big Boy, Jumbo, which may be Simpsons Jumbo, Montgmy Ward, Norseman, Love, Friday (Dave Friday supposedly added a 2-spd diff for 10 spds forward!) Rockol and Regal, and probably some I missed. Some reportedly had Chrysler straight 8's!!
It's a confused, fascinating story; around a dozen cooperatives and companies/corporations were involved in the confused line of descent. The design seem to've died out in the mid-50s or so.
For being "Clueless" why does he have all this information? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re' "clueless": it's because the more you learn, the more you realise you have left to learn...answering questions often raises more questions, and you never really catch up. And , as in this case, I've never even seen one of these; everything came from other peoples books and websites. All I did was get curious and try to build a timeline, which, I'm sure, has been done dozens of times before, and is probably all down on the web somewhere, if I just had the sense (or intelligence) to know just how to phrase the search. My father used to say "...whatever you can't figure out how to do with your brain you'll wind up doing with your back...", and, by Gosh, he was right. Take care.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I found a picture of a Intercontinentel Military C-26 tractor. It looks similar also. It was made after WW2 in Garland Texas. 4CYL Continental Engine. It is in a calender so I cant attatch it :banghead3

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got the rockol home the planned day trip ended up being 2 1/2 oh well got to visit and look at lots of iron sorry had camera on the kitchen table and forgot to take it only has the one wheel weight on it so if i can't find another one wich is doubtfull i may have a freind cast one for it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
had my assistants pull the plugs and fill cylynders with oil before unloading and parking in the project row ryjba does the hood on your coop hinge forward or come right off this one hinges but the bolts are all missing out of it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BigAllis said:
u need get yer helpers there own personalized oil cans lol

they usually end up with enough on themselves they can squeeze whatever oil they need out of their clothes....wich usually ends up with me in trouble again
:sidelaugh

1 - 20 of 38 Posts