My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to know if any of you out there own one and is it strapped to a Jacobsen mower? I find very little info on these especially the late models before ceasing in production. I picked one up a little while ago, and was wanting to build a franken-mower with it.
I will no doubt need to make a custom mounting plate if I'm going to use a Lawn Boy deck, which was my first choice. Being that the Robin built engines for Jacobsen has a shorter crank than the Snapper models did creates even more of a challenge. Does anyone have info or pics of this latest model that used a flywheel brake setup on any particular mower model? Can you Snapper owners tell me if your models use the same engine handle bail setup or lever engine mounted only?
Just trying to get some ideas together on what or how to build something using this engine which seems rock solid. I've never used or heard one run in person other than whats been posted on Youtube. Surely these engines were used on some model of mower other than stock engines that were sold. :dunno: :thanku:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go here;
www.jacobsen.com/americas-parts-lookup/#

and lookup;
-Jacobsen Turf
-Commercial Products
-Small Walk-behind Rotaries
-032017, 032022, 032024, 042194

These Jakes used the Robin 2 stroke on the Commercial extra-thick cast aluminum decks, but they were all push only. I believe the Robin 2 strokes used on these Jake disharge decks were a short (stub) shaft as opposed to those used on the Snapper hi-vac decks which were long shaft (and SP).

If you happen to have a short shaft Robin 2 stroke, you'll need to locate an extra tall blade hub for it if you intend to use it on the taller mulching or Hi-Vac decks. You'll also need to weld a pulley onto the top of the blade hub if you need it Self Propelled.

Here's an example of a tall Jacobsen blade hub intended for an early twin blade setup, but you get the idea; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-Ja...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bfde7e6c

Maybe you could modify one of the integrated MTD hub/adapters to fit the short shaft; http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTD-Lawnmow...486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e69c2f5de

Don't know anything about BBC applications since I promptly remove blade brakes, flywheel brakes and other such BS contraptions, but I do know the Robin 2 strokes bolt right on to the Toro commercial aluminum decks.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=199664

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the links and info viking427! I saw the adapter on Ebay just today, but dang! $44 for a blade adapter?? I guess these things just don't pop up for parts like those Lawn Boys do. I may have access to a couple of Toro decks right now, but another member might scalp me if I get one and pull the Zuki from it! I'll keep looking and dig up what I can on them. Would love to see an acutal model this engine was used on including the engine brake/cable set up including the fuel tank.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's a pic of the WR2's flywheel drum brake system from Indy. Gotta remove the flywheel to disassemble it. The flat steel actuater lever (visible to the right of the brake shoes) protrudes through the rear of the alum. case and hangs out the back of the engine below the fuel tank platform. A well engineered and quality design typical of the WR2, but a bit of a pita. Might be best to just pull the flywheel and scrap the brake system, especially if you plan on mounting a larger external fuel tank directly behind the engine, since the protruding lever will interfere with it.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=149376&highlight=robin+brake+drum

Flywheel brakes were adopted to comply with gov't mandated safety law to stop blades from spinning within 3 seconds of engine shutdown. :rolleyes: ..not to be confused with below deck blade brake clutches (BBC), which were more for convenience.

·
2-cycle Junkie
77 Posts
Here is a link to a video showing the Jacobsen mowers that used these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c5DwxvkgMg Unfortunately, it doesn't show the handle bail if it has one (The early Jakes didn't use one at all). I have deleted my flywheel brakes using a turnbuckle to hold them in the open position (cheap, and easy to install :thThumbsU). The throttle on the Jakes is usually (if not always) operated by a small lever mounted on the engine. If you prefer a handle mounted throttle, I'm sure one could be installed reasonably easily. Hope this helps.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen your videos as well. Nice set ups! The engine I have has the flywheel brake setup with the remote throttle as well. No single lever mounted to the engine like some Wisconsins I've seen. I had planned on keeping the brake setup since it acts as a normal engine kill, though both functions easy enough to over ride. My biggest challenge so far appears to finding a deck other than a Super Recycler to mount it to, then finding an adapter/blade combo. Most of the stuff I would need, even if cost feasible through Jacobsen, is now obsolete. I checked with them through the link viking427 posted. Even though I can still get a new fuel tank and brackets for the Robin, spending $300 for it is totally out of the question! If or when I ever get this mounted on anything, I guess I will have to have a custom tank made, which I've already found, and make a mount for it also. Seems like any good used tanks are VERY few and far between out there. All the set ups must still be in use. If this all proves to be a wild goose chase, I will offer the engine up here for sale first.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, forget buying parts for the Robin, itll nickel & dime ..err.. 20's & 100's you to death. Everyone keeps the integrated L-shaped plastic gas tank with the engine, so you never see them for sale separately. The older Kohler, Sears, MTD 1 gallon steel tanks with mounting straps make good extra capacity retrofits anyway though. The Toro commercial decks make good platforms for frankenmowers because they have those wonderful bullet-proof & simple 3 speed tranmissions, that are easy to belt-link to the engine. I like the Jacobsen recoil cages that add a beefier commercial appearance and fit the Suzuki and Echo 2 strokes as well, but I don't like the extra height they produce. Same gripe I have with the Toro commercial 1 gallon black plastic "tall" tanks - I like a low-profile mower I can dive deep under the shrubs with ..right up to the handlebars if necessary, and these recoil cages, tanks and even bags get in the way or hung up sometimes. Another nice thing about the steel tanks - you can mount them down flush with the recoil.

·
2-cycle Junkie
77 Posts
Yeah, I hear what you're sayin' Echoman. Parts for the Robins definately aren't cheap. Thankfully they are rarely needed. I actually have one of the ec-13's that you have with the short shaft, picked it up for 40 bucks brand new. I never bought it with the intent of installing it because of the lack of a decent size shaft or fuel tank (like you are facing with your unit). I merely bought it for the parts, as a coil, recoil, muffler, carb, etc would be nice to have just in case for my longer shaft units. For the price, I couldn't beat it. That said, with a little time and ingenuity, I think anything is possible. Some of the links Viking posted seem like they could be feasible implementations. It's a great motor and I hope that you are able to find a cost effective way to implement it somewhere. Let us know what you come up with.:goodl:

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! $40?! Man, you stole that! Nice job on the find. Yeah, I'd really like to use this Robin mounted up to a solid platform like a Toro commerical deck. I have access to a couple right now. One is a true commercial and the other a recycler model. I need to get models and more specifics on them on which to use. They both have Suzuki 2 strokes on them now. One model has the 3 speed gear selector down low on the left hand side using a small plastic back lever. Never worked or really seen that before. Anyone familiar with that model? I want to use the best over all system Toro had or I can find at least as these Robins seem so well built and designed to last as I know many of you owners can agree with. Whatever I build will get fully repowdercoated, new wheels, drive components etc to make it last and look as good as a frankenmower can. Being unique is just as important as being a safe and reliable machine as well.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
echo-that toro with the plastic shift lever is the best comm toro to have . its the improved comm trans . the older ones used to jump out of gear after some wear. the one like you have is bullit proff. i have one thats worn out 3 suzuki engines-yet i have never touched the trans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most of the Toro Commercials (22030, 22035, 22040, 22XXX) used the trans mounted 3/2/1/N lever protruding from the rear of the tranmission itself. The earliest models had a metal lever, then they went to black nylon later on. The idea is lawn crews could just reach down with their foot and kick the speed up or down. Simple, no nonsense, durable and effective. The residential and Landscape model trans were typically almost identical but cable operated from the handlebars, and those trans cases were 2 piece sheet metal with no grease zerk, as opposed to the commercials 2 piece cast aluminum case with grease zerk, and "HD" (heavy duty ?) stamped on the lower case half, visible when you flip the mower over. Im not as familiar with the later 2216X, 2217X etc commercials when they got into 4 strokes, BBC, consoles etc so Toro may have mixed and matched safety/convenience features on them by then.

The WR 2 stroke is little heftier than other 2 strokes and the Toro commercial deck is no lightweight either, but Toro's commercial single piece 1" thick handlebars and well designed single bail trans control are very solid providing excellent feedback and control while pivoting and working the mower around, making the package a joy to operate. You come to appreciate quality, solid handlebars and simplicity in design/function after many years of mower ownership :fing32:

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great! Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I will get over soon to the shop and check that one out. I bought a new Super Recycler back in 98' that had an aluminum deck with a 6hp Quantum and 3 speed. Cant remember the model, but it was solid and cut well. Sold it to my brother after 6 years. He used it for another 5 years or so and sold it last summer for a good price! If I can pick up this mower for a good price, then I may have something to bolt this Robin to.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Yeah? You have any pics or video of the finished job?
I've got a couple of the one I did. It was a long process but after all was said and done I switched back to the Suzuki on this deck....It was just lighter and seemed to fit the deck style better although I like the way the WR looked on this deck...lol. Performance just wasn't quite there for me.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks nice Indy! You say lack of performance you mean when mulching, self propel engaged etc? What are the Zuki's rated at 5 or 5.5hp? Did the factory Toro cables match up with the WR well? I know finding a deck like this is fairly easy to do. The harder part will be coming up with a good adapter/pulley combo to use on this short shaft Robin 'Jake' model I have. Did you happen to get any video of this setup in action?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts