My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

My wife and I have been talking about taking a road-trip style family vacation for a year or two. We have two boys (8 and 12), and an RV.

Our leading idea is to do a Hall of Fame tour, starting in MA, and hitting the Baseball (Cooperstown NY), Football (Canton OH) and Rock and Roll (Cleveland OH) Halls.

As a family of adrenaline junkies, we'll also like to hit some amusement parks. We have season passes for Six Flags, so SF New England (Agawam MA), Great Escape (Lake George NY) and Great Adventure (Jackson NJ) could certainly be worked in on the way out or back.

Of course, we've been to those places numerous times over the years, so it would be nice to hit some of the parks in OH (supposed to be famous for roller coasters) and maybe Hershey Park in PA on the way home.

Our kids really love aerial adventure (zipline) parks as well.

I'd love to hear opinions on other (maybe more educational/natural and less "commercial") ideas from folks who live or have visited those areas!

Would also appreciate campground recommendations.

We intend to travel for seven days, most likely in August. The main goal is Ohio, but we're trying to break the driving into smaller chunks, which leaves all points between MA and OH, as far north as NY and as far south as PA/NJ, open for consideration.

Looking forward to all your suggestions!

Mike

PS: We've already done one trip this year (local day trip to NH), pic below...

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,869 Posts
There's some great nature sites around the Finger Lakes area such as Taughannock Falls State Park on west side of Cayuga Lake with amazing water fall. You can hike to the falls below and above.
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/62/details.aspx
There,s also Letchworth state Park, west of the Finger Lakes, with what is called "Grand Canyon of the East".
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx
Not one for amusement parks so can't give advice there.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I suggest you stop at Cedar Point while visiting Pro football Hall of Fame. Cedar point is one of the top amusement parks in the country.

while up there in Lake Erie area take fairy over to Put-in-Bay island on Lake Erie. You can even fairy over cars, bike.

We vacationed every year at lake Erie as a kid.

·
Master Cranker!!!
14,982 Posts
Ellis’ house in Long Island. I hear he has a zip line from the second story bedroom out to his shop.
First things, first...............you're a turd, Scott :tango_face_kiss:

Besides, the zip line was taken down after I purchased a used Trebuchet punkin chunker. Much faster.

I'm more a museum kinda guy. Been to Cooperstown half dozen times. It can't be beat. Spend some time in town, too. Right in the area also is Howe Caverns. Guaranteed highlight for every family member. Just be sure to wear a light jacket/sweatshirt. It's about 55 degrees down there. It's a trip no one will ever forget. I liked the Basketball HOF in Springfield a lot also. Very interactive for kids. And the history is off the hook.

Enjoy, and :wwp::wwp::wwp:

Also, be sure to visit the Henway while you're there.

·
Administrator
16,765 Posts
That Hall of Fame trip sounds nice as do some of the Adventure Parks, BUT IT'S ONLY SEVEN DAYS! The haul from Ma to Ohio and back will eat up a lot of time and consider a day at each way stop. With a huge itinerary like that you will be wiped out keeping to schedule and guaranteed you won't be relaxed when you get back. Been there and done that - unfortunately more than once. But we did finally learn our lesson. I'd suggest do the two in Ohio and grab something about half way. Cooperstown could be a three day get-away of weekend from where you are. Nice to start with lots of plans but make sure you whittle it down to realistic, manageable chunks of time. You and your family's sanity will be grateful.
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
26,405 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
162 Posts
If you're in the Cleveland area the first weekend of August, the Northern Ohio Chevelle Club has it's annual show drawing 150-200 of the nicest Chevelles around.

Into trains? There's the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugar Creek.

·
Blank Space
2,983 Posts
You'll never catch me anywhere near any of the places in the first post, or any place similar. The last two posts are more to my interests, but I don't imagine I'll ever travel again.

My last (and probably my LAST) trip was a leisurely drive down the Natchez Trace Parkway to Vicksburgh Mississippi, then to the Gulf Coast, catching a few National Parks and Monuments along the way.

Not quite PA or OH though.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio, they also have water park if some don’t want roller coasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
31,331 Posts
Well Lake George, and the great Escape are my old stomping grounds... so I will say its a nice place to stay. OK... There is really so much to do, and see in Lake George. Its is a beautiful town. TONS of camp grounds, TONS to do, and the park, and even a main street with a ton of little shops and places to eat. As far as campgrounds.. there are tons. Lots right in the town, and if you want to drive a bit, some within 10-15 min from there.. We have stayed at this state park a few times, and its vary nice! https://parks.ny.gov/parks/150/details.aspx Its about 15 min from the village of lake George.

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These ideas are great, please keep them coming!

Mike

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
"Vacation"

I'm not familiar with this word...

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"Vacation"

I'm not familiar with this word...
Neither are we. We rarely take anything more than a few long weekends. This will be the first trip of this distance, and time (greater than 4-5 days) that we've taken in a lot of years...

We might have some flexibility in which week we'll travel, which could open up another weekend (giving us 2-3 more days to spread things out).

We do typically spend 2 or 3 days in a park (water, amusement, etc.) for every day of more relaxing time (swimming, hiking, mini golf), so we're used to being busy and getting home tired.

One nice thing about season passes is that you don't feel obligated to squeeze every minute you can out of a day pass (and it's easier to peel the kids out of a park if they know they're going back later). Plus, the Six Flags passes get us into any SF park in the country (there are three within 4-5 hours of home).

This, of course, will be a different kind of trip, really focused on the Rock and Football Halls. The amusement parks will be cool because we never get out to Ohio (I went there for business once or twice).

We really try to maximize the little time we actually have to get away. You can always rest at home the rest of the year...

Mike

·
Administrator
13,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Ohio has 2-3 outdoor dramas, Tecumseh, and Blue Jacket, both are real good. Both based on Ohio history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're still in brainstorming mode. I just found out that Sox Flags has a park (Darien Lake) near Buffalo, NY, which is definitely on the way (and would be covered by our season passes)!

We realize that we either need to skip one of the amusement parks in Ohio, or stretch our trip to 9 days for this to really work.

Still need to find more aerial adventure parks.

PA and Hershey might have to wait for a more southern trip next year.

How wet has it been in Ohio this year?

To save some money, we'll most likely boondock (dry camp) with the RV at rest areas to/from OH, unless we stay in Lake George for Labor Day weekend on the way back.

Mike

1 - 20 of 127 Posts