My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Please don't let him ruin this one pushing snow is it should be capable going about anywhere one would want to go without pushing a path for someone else.
Being a 69 build probably meant for use in southeast Asia does it have a heater?
Mike mentioned something about a heater yesterday, I believe he said they were "an option", but it didn't have one. I'll check on that.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
16,676 Posts
Looks like someone is going to have to assign 'parking spots' around the hacienda--all the rides up there now. However--nice ride for a young guy--let him learn the basic 'do's' on something simple.Ya know?
glenn

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Mike mentioned something about a heater yesterday, I believe he said they were "an option", but it didn't have one. I'll check on that.
He could probably get all the parts he needs to install heat from a place like Memphis if he wants to. Driving my '57 CJ without doors home from my wife's (then GF's) house late at night in the middle of winter, I would recommend that Mike adds a heater at some point.

·
Super Moderator
34,468 Posts
Tim...if I remember correctly those trucks with a snorkel like that were multi fuel, weren't they?Could burn almost anything
Mark, the multi-fuels were mostly diesels IIRC. I don't remember any gassers that could use diesel or JP4.

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Doing a quick check, I found a complete NOS M-715 heater kit that sold for $700 on ebay a while ago. Now I'm sure that they are around, and should be less money used. Mike would just need to watch the voltage of the blower if his has been converted to 12V. BTW, is it still 24V, or has it been converted to 12V? If 12V, he could probably use a motor from a period Wagoneer, or P/u.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Very cool, Dave. He knows to be aware of the 24V sitchiation. I can tell you this, Mike will rig up a hairdryer off a transformer before he spends 700 big ones.........not saying he's cheap or anything :rolleyes:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks like someone is going to have to assign 'parking spots' around the hacienda--all the rides up there now. However--nice ride for a young guy--let him learn the basic 'do's' on something simple.Ya know?
glenn
I'd say Mike has paid his dues as wingman long enough, Glenn. You never know it all, but I'd say he's learned enough to get himself into real trouble now and live the life of cool ride junkie.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,277 Posts
Well, if you had told us you were going to Saugerties maybe a few of us could have met you guys for lunch. 🥴

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, if you had told us you were going to Saugerties maybe a few of us could have met you guys for lunch. 🥴
I will remember that, Al. The weather was sketchy and Mike was driving..........we grabbed one of them chicken sandwiches at a Mickey D's Thruway spot. I think we paid half their rent with our purchase.

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Very cool, Dave. He knows to be aware of the 24V sitchiation. I can tell you this, Mike will rig up a hairdryer off a transformer before he spends 700 big ones.........not saying he's cheap or anything :rolleyes:
There have to be used "kits" around for a lot less. I just wanted to see if anything like this might be around. My first call would be to Memphis.

Mike will rig up a hairdryer off a transformer before he spends 700 big ones.........not saying he's cheap or anything :rolleyes:

...I'm not saying that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree either...:D

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,725 Posts
Looking forward to watching how this goes, Ellis! Looks like Mike has a great starting point. As well as someone close by who really knows what he's doing!

One thing you guys might want to address fairly early on, and I'm sure you're probably already on the case: In your first pic, the truck sure looks like it has split rims on it. Remembering from my long-gone days as an Apprentice and working around some real talented Masters on 'old stuff'... with the age on those rims, and if they ARE split rims, you might not want to trust them too far.

·
16,676 Posts
There have to be used "kits" around for a lot less. I just wanted to see if anything like this might be around. My first call would be to Memphis.

Mike will rig up a hairdryer off a transformer before he spends 700 big ones.........not saying he's cheap or anything :rolleyes:

...I'm not saying that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree either...:D

Ding-Ding!! We have a winner! Dave--that simple answer hit the nail right on the head---my thoughts exacatly...What did those old guys used to be called--curmudgeons? knee slapper there-

·
16,676 Posts
Looking forward to watching how this goes, Ellis! Looks like Mike has a great starting point. As well as someone close by who really knows what he's doing!

One thing you guys might want to address fairly early on, and I'm sure you're probably already on the case: In your first pic, the truck sure looks like it has split rims on it. Remembering from my long-gone days as an Apprentice and working around some real talented Masters on 'old stuff'... with the age on those rims, and if they ARE split rims, you might not want to trust them too far.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Steamguy--that is a big 10-4...I even worked on some three piece split rims one time-----really hurt somebody.
Do be careful, guys.
glenn

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Ding-Ding!! We have a winner! Dave--that simple answer hit the nail right on the head---my thoughts exacatly...What did those old guys used to be called--curmudgeons? knee slapper there-
You too, Glenn.....you too???? Ohhhhh, the humanity!

Absolutely, sir. Up to the early 70's we'd dismount up to 40 split rims a day at my dad's business, without a cage. I remember seeing a TV show, I'm thinking 60 Minutes, 20/20, that showed the dangers of it after we went out of business. Still sends shivers up the spine. It's in the plans, obviously for safely foremost, but you also get lighter and can go to a rim that will give you much more tire options.

I appreciate your concern and extremely sound advice(sharp eyes there) (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You too, Glenn.....you too???? Ohhhhh, the humanity!

Absolutely, sir. Up to the early 70's we'd dismount up to 40 split rims a day at my dad's business, without a cage. I remember seeing a TV show, I'm thinking 60 Minutes, 20/20, that showed the dangers of it after we went out of business. Still sends shivers up the spine. It's in the plans, obviously for safely foremost, but you also get lighter and can go to a rim that will give you much more tire options.

I appreciate your concern and extremely sound advice(sharp eyes there) (y) (y) (y)
Only time I have ever seen a split break loss was during inflation after mounting a tire. Myself I would not worry to much about it if everything is in good condition. Problem is the young kids have never seen them and most tire shops will not even mess with them. They are still a lot safer than split rim tractor tires.
We have a friend that went to add air to a mounted truck tire a few years ago and had the sidewall blow out on a brand new tire. Broke both his arms, some ribs and threw him for a ways. Just shows us how darn lucky some of us have been over the years. I doubt to many of us own a tire cage.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
My thoughts are, why take the chance? Rims are out there. Worst case scenario, I cut back on my bad habits for a week, take the dough saved, and buy the rims for my boy (y)

·
Administrator
17,522 Posts
I'm not saying that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree either...:D
Three great points Steamguy. Now we just have to hope that "the apple" that Dave mentioned doesn't include a certain someone's proclivity for starting and then stopping... for extended periods. (one might say years but surely that's just our imagination, maybe :rolleyes:) But I have faith that that the Mike will work at a much more continuous pace than his mentor. (shouldn't be hard) :whistle:
MikeC

41 - 60 of 74 Posts