My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know I have a '62 Willys p/u. Apparently that planted a seed in my boy Mike. He's been hawking old 4x4's online, etc. for months. Seeing whats out there, seeing what he likes, learning values and what he can afford. For the last few months he's been focusing on the M715 Jeep. It's a Vietnam era truck as I understand it. He knows a lot more than I.
Anyhoo, a couple weeks ago he spots a good candidate. Solid, original, low miles. Looks? Not impressive, due to the paint. Mechanically, excellent. Tin, steel, solid as a rock!

It's about 3 hrs north of us across a man made moat we commonly refer to as "the bridges".......New York City.

Time for a road trip!

First leg.....The LIE, or Long Island Expressway.

715-1.jpg

The jump to the mainland...............the Whitestone Bridge.
715-2.jpg

A bit of time and we hit the relatively new, and forever ever to me named, Tappan Zee Bridge.

715-3.jpg

The object of Mike's desire. Like I said, looks mehhh. Under that toasty paint is a diamond, though. Test drove through all gears, 4x4, hi-lo. Made 50mph smooth and easy. It had more, no problem.

715-4.jpg

Mike made a deal. I will simply say the PO didn't make that easy. No matter........it's trailer time.

715-5.jpg

Safe at it's new home. First plan is to give about 6 people a sander and prepping it for a coat of primer. I think that will make a huge difference. Have to say, I'm really impressed with this truck. Straight six Tornado provides good power and excellent torque. The comfort level is noticeable from my Willys, also. As in ride quality and room. I think Mike picked a good one.

715-6.jpg

·
Administrator
12,616 Posts
Very cool truck, and a convertible too! There are at least two of them in close proximity to me, one is driven in parades and the other I haven't seen move yet although it looks roadworthy as it sits. Getting a coat of primer on it will do a world of good in the looks department but the truck looks great otherwise. Have fun with it!

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Very cool truck! Congratulations to Mike. I have had these on my list for a long time. I actually test drove one for sale down the road from me many years ago. I was also very impressed. First gear in high range was as low as first gear in low range in my PW. Lots of pulling, and hauling capacity. A lot of them don't have the drop down front end carriers anymore. Having it is nice for a lot of uses.
People have installed power steering in them using Wagoneer parts. I believe that power disc brakes have been swapped into them too.

Time for a "block party" as Shorty used to say when he was still on Iron Restoration. The washing machine is all you'll need. :)

·
Super Moderator
34,472 Posts
Nice, they're normally hard to find with good metal! Is he planning on doing a military paint job on it or making it more of a showpiece?

·
Super Moderator
8,674 Posts
Hey Ellis....good find ...it looks 🆒 and I believe that there are a lot of parts available if that need should arise....I don't think our fellow staff members catch your subtle reference to the Tappan Zee.....and you overlooked mentioning the LIE's other name....worlds longest parking lot;)....

·
Citizen of Earth
15,425 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeet truck! I love that style Jeep. So this was in New York City as in Manhattan? You are braver than me to drive a truck with a trailer in the city. My curiosity needs to know how much did you get dinged for tolls? My last trip thru the city was to take my wife to JFK. I took the Goethals bridge from NJ to Staten Island ($18) then the Verrazano Narrows bridge to Long Island ($36) for a total of $54 for just a pickup truck. A 2 axle trailer has to add to that.

Reactions: tiretrx

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Interesting find, have fun with it. If that Brazilian built 6 goes out (and it will) a later small block would be a huge improvement. I had an early Wagoneer, 'nuff said.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,277 Posts
Ellis, I have made that mainland trip many, many times in a former life. Yes, still Tappan Zee for me. The Jeep will make a fun truck for Mike to "bop around "in. Heck, Mike may not even know what that means. 😊

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow the Tappan Zee is a lot nicer looking bridge than it was the last time i was over it. Retired from truck driving in 1985 so my last time across it was a year or two before that.

Don't even think about tolls in a tractor trailer. 20, 30, 40, or 50 dollars a bridge and that was way back then.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,425 Posts
I have crossed over that river on the old Tappan Zee bridge many times from when I was a kid to get to CT where my dad's parents lived. They both passed away back in the 1980's so I haven't been in that part of the world since. The photos above are the first images I have seen of the new bridge. And it will be the Tappan Zee to me as well, just like the Sears Tower is still the Sears Tower to me.

Reactions: tiretrx

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It will always start.
If it won't start, it can be repaired in your garage.
It will never refuse to start without your foot on the brake pedal, or your key fob present.
It will never ***** at you for not buckling your seat belt.
It will never scream "brake" for no apparent reason.
It will never transmit your location to..??...
If it is labelled "gasoline" it will run it.
It will never record all of your driving habits (These new vehicles should come with a Miranda warning).
It merely expects you to know what the heck you're doing and drive it accordingly.

It will be your good friend forever.
Great find, many congratulations!!!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Wow the Tappan Zee is a lot nicer looking bridge than it was the last time i was over it. Retired from truck driving in 1985 so my last time across it was a year or two before that.

Don't even think about tolls in a tractor trailer. 20, 30, 40, or 50 dollars a bridge and that was way back then.
I go over the Tappen Zee, as it always will be to me, 3-4 times a week.. it’s a beautiful bridge. Depending on traffic I’ll either retrace back over it or take the GW to the corkscrew. Thank Gawd work covers the tolls.. LOL.
56C86A97-F201-47E6-AE8F-641A97AF2CFD.jpeg

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
American Motors took over Jeep, they were subsequently bought out by Chrysler. My Wagoneer was a real dogs breakfast, the Brazilian built ohc six which was loosely based on a GM design, Borg-Warner automatic, a transfer case of unknown origin that offered low range in 2wd, and an AMC rear end with the infamous keyed hubs. The front hubs were unlike anything I had seen, each had two screws that I operated with a quarter. It would either go through or stall, didn't have the power to spin out in sand.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
I liked the old Willy's. Very few in between. Drove a new Compass last fall that was not to bad. But yes some where a fix it every time you drive it a fair.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Tornado engine would seem to be a point of contention. In my experience as a '62 Willys owner with the proceeding engine, the Super Hurricane six, I have heard both sides from folks that forgot more than I know. My take? Later ones are better. And it could be just a case of good one, bad one, especially early on. This one is a strong runner to this pair of shade tree mechanic ears.

We went over the truck real good today. I took it on the road again. Loved it even more. Solid vintage ride, some work to do (y)

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
154 Posts
It will always start.
If it won't start, it can be repaired in your garage.
It will never refuse to start without your foot on the brake pedal, or your key fob present.
It will never * at you for not buckling your seat belt.
It will never scream "brake" for no apparent reason.
It will never transmit your location to..??...
If it is labelled "gasoline" it will run it.
It will never record all of your driving habits (These new vehicles should come with a Miranda warning).
It merely expects you to know what the heck you're doing and drive it accordingly.

It will be your good friend forever.
Great find, many congratulations!!!
I like the list! That's just how a car or truck has to be!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts