My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having a '62 Willys Pickup myself, I watched with great interest one member's multi year build thread on a 1956 Willys pickup. It was posted on a Willys forum I frequent. At projects' end he shared that he would be selling it. After showing my SIL the truck, as he has been searching for one, we talked with the owner and pointed our truck/trailer towards New Jersey at 5:30am yesterday.

After a smooth 2 hr. run we pulled in the driveway and saw this.

Interior/engine bay.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle door
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

After a nice long test drive by Mike and myself, a deal was struck, truck was loaded and at 8:45 we left his driveway for eastern LI. The first leg on rte 80 was great. The truck got a TON of attention from fellow drivers. Probably the last time I got that many thumbs up, I was riding my bicycle through Greenwich Village in nothing but spandex shorts.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior

This stretch will lull you, make you think the battle won, but you know that IT'S out there, looming...........the Corridor of DOOOOOM!!!

Cloud Sky Car Wheel Vehicle

Better known as the George Washington Bridge, the Throgs Neck Bridge and the ribbon of crushed asphalt that connects them, the Cross Bronx Expressway. They say it was a highway when they built it. Anyhow we hit the GWB and things were peachy till the crest. On the other side, brake lights and congestion appeared, while still moving at a good clip. Land mines dead ahead. The potholes were deep, and many. With a tractor and 53' box on my left, and jokers to the right, it was stay straight, and hold on tight. We hit one and I saw the Willys white roof lunge up and then plummet. Upon just clearing the bridge, Mike announced "we popped the back strap!" Now if you ever been on the Cross Bronx Expressway, you know there are no shoulders, there are numerous potholes and no one cares if you drop into one and are never heard from again. After 15 minutes of cringing with every bump, I saw it. A slice of asphalt pizza between the divergence of nuts headed north and the rest of the nuts headed south. I parked on it, Mike and I did our best pit crew skit and in a minor miracle we blended back amongst the lemmings quite easily. The Throgs Neck and the rest of the trip home was nice and relaxing.

The egg safely home.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

And introduced to it's new family.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Congratulations to Mike! I know the part of trip you were describing all too well. It's not fun without pulling a trailer and newly restored Jeep, so can imagine what you and Mike had to go through.

BTW, none of your pics are showing.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Love your tales-of woe--so it ain't only me...:censored::censored:
Need those pictures-Driver..
glenn

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll see if I can get them to post on my home PC.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Wow, did I see the pics! Beautiful! Inside and out. Congrats again to Mike. I think the best pic is the two Jeeps together with your dog between them. I would have that one enlarged and framed with another framed copy for Mike. You have to park them side by side at a show. And bring lobster bibs to hand out to the passersby. They will be drooling over them.

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, did I see the pics! Beautiful! Inside and out. Congrats again to Mike. I think the best pic is the two Jeeps together with your dog between them. I would have that one enlarged and framed with another framed copy for Mike. You have to park them side by side at a show. And bring lobster bibs to hand out to the passersby. They will be drooling over them.
Can see those photos now! WOW that is nice (y)
Thanks. Being totally honest, the condition of Mike's is mush better than mine. And it has some upgrades, the best of which is electric power steering!

To see the entire build:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,526 Posts
Well, I read your other thread first, but I can say that after many years of not having to take that route from NJ to LI, I don't miss it one bit. Your ride reminds me of when I drove home frim SC with the pontoon in tow. Eight feet wide made construction stretches in DC the ultimate nightmare. :eek:

Reactions: tiretrx

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
2,075 Posts
Wow, great score!

Having worked as an Apprentice in an area where there were LOTS of Willys Jeeps around (including a couple Forward Control trucks), I gotta ask: how well does the gearbox work? We cared for a good half dozen of them, and I swear, for most of them, you had to have the courage of your convictions when changing gears. Downshifting was something that took real practice in rev-matching when double-clutching... For a few of them, we thinned the 90-weight with regular (high-quality) motor oil, just to make them shift a little easier.
Quick story:
One guy who thought he really knew where the Willys went through the buckwheat, went and put STP in his gearbox. He was in the next day to have us drain it and flush it. It had gotten cold overnight and he admitted his mistake - he couldn't get it into Second without a LOT of shoving and swearing...

• Haha
Reactions: Ingersoll444

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I read your other thread first, but I can say that after many years of not having to take that route from NJ to LI, I don't miss it one bit. Your ride reminds me of when I drove home frim SC with the pontoon in tow. Eight feet wide made construction stretches in DC the ultimate nightmare. :eek:
I try to avoid the GWB whenever possible.

nice trucks look good
Thanks!

That’s quite a pair of Jeeps, Ellis, they look really good together! You could have done us all a favor and not mentioned the spandex story, though! There’s a visual I could have lived without! 🤣🍻
Thanks Mike. I might have a photo of me in the spandex somewhere, let me check.

WHOOOOOOO nice looking truck!! Congratulations to Mike on the new ride.

When did they change from two glass to one glass windscreens?
Thanks Paul, late 50's not exact on the year.

Wow, great score!

Having worked as an Apprentice in an area where there were LOTS of Willys Jeeps around (including a couple Forward Control trucks), I gotta ask: how well does the gearbox work? We cared for a good half dozen of them, and I swear, for most of them, you had to have the courage of your convictions when changing gears. Downshifting was something that took real practice in rev-matching when double-clutching... For a few of them, we thinned the 90-weight with regular (high-quality) motor oil, just to make them shift a little easier.
Quick story:
One guy who thought he really knew where the Willys went through the buckwheat, went and put STP in his gearbox. He was in the next day to have us drain it and flush it. It had gotten cold overnight and he admitted his mistake - he couldn't get it into Second without a LOT of shoving and swearing...
Yup, his tranny is not synched, my later one is. I did downshift Mike's pretty fair off the bat. I think my '29 Model A is tougher......took me a while to get pretty good.

Reactions: Ingersoll444

·
Administrator
18,416 Posts
Mike should be very happy with that truck. The pair do look great together. Congrats to the both of you.
As for the crappy X Bronx doomway, my son was bringing home a large milling machine, hit one of those sinkholes which sheared a wheel off the trailer. No possibility of replacing with spare so they chained up the axle and got it home on three wheels. Sketchy, but it worked.
MikeC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts