My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out starter other day and all a sudden it stopped working again...bit this time with sparks... took off the shields to check it out and saw the oil pan casting that hold the starter true cracked... and cant seem to find one anywhere...so now it's time to check out my options and table the 400 till I can find a new oil pan... maybe time for stop over at the local jd dealer...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
JD NOT HD

Cant find the edit button

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,807 Posts
You can look on line for good/used oil pan for the Kohler. Check Ebay, Amazon, LGT Bone yards.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked ebay and amazon and added my searches to my notifications if any items get posted....I'll find one someday

·
Registered
864 Posts
JB weld? I changed on on a JB Welded crack engine block of a Mercedes 300se. My current Yukon's transfer case has a JB Weld repair. No leaks on either.... I should last longer than the rods on that old tired Kohler.:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I know the area he is talking about and nothing short of a weld will work. There is enormous pressure on that bolt/web and not only does it hold the starter motor but has to take the torque of turning over the engine. It can be welded by a good aluminum welder for about $20.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the area he is talking about and nothing short of a weld will work. There is enormous pressure on that bolt/web and not only does it hold the starter motor but has to take the torque of turning over the engine. It can be welded by a good aluminum welder for about $20.
Is it aluminum? I for some reason thought cast iron...maybe I'll take it out and go to the tig man

·
Registered
864 Posts
Is it aluminum? I for some reason thought cast iron...maybe I'll take it out and go to the tig man

Rudy is right, Im not familiar with that part so Rudy's suggestion would be best.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do you know what you are looking for? You have the original Kohler engine correct? Kind of confusing when there is links provided to Onan parts and talk of Onan parts.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
You are right! I've had two 400's and two 420's and was thinking of the Onan in the 420. I haven't looked for the Kohler but I do know a guy with two of them for sale. He also has a completely rebuilt Kohler engine that hasn't been run since it was built 12 years ago. I can give you his e-mail address if you will pm me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Things are looking up... found an oil pan on ebay will have is soon... now to find some odds and ends P.O. took off that I have found....1 is a belt "guide" on the front pulley on the motor right side... and other is some L shaped bracket that goes to a bolt on the back of the starter...

Side note anyone else hate looking through parts illustrations to find stuff?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost forgot picture... ;) Screenshot_20191014-145402_eBay.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts