My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone sand blasted rims with tires still on them....these have tubes in them..is there somthing u can cover the tire with to protech it ...

has anybody done this yet..??

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Blasting wheels with tires mounted isn't uncommon; the blasting shouldn't do any harm to the tires; if you're concerned about it, you could put some duct tape on the tire around the rim; either way, it's not like you're focusing the blasting on the tire so it should be fine. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
Yes, I have done it and it doesn't hurt the tire's. If your concerned, just take it easy around the tire.

Attachments

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Wont hurt the tires, might want to let the air out of the tubes and push the valve stems in though and then stick a plug in the holes while you're blasting. The valve stems, unless they are metal, could heat up during blasting and fail.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
darn valve stems r hard to fish back outta tire after ya push them in...if I use 'gator tape' on the stem...I may get by that way...leave air in tires too..

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Yep if you wrap them you should be just fine, just try not to stay in one area to long when you're near the valve stem.

·
22,347 Posts
The valve stems don't heat up any more than the tires do. I've had rims shotblasted in a Wheelabrator and forgot the odd valve stem. No damage to the stem and steel shot is a lot harder than sand. Just make sure the caps are on the valve stems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts