My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LT1000 and have done alot to get it to cut evenly and have just about given up. I have searched the internet and this forum for months and just cant get the anwser that fixes the problem.

I have replaced both spindles/bearings and blades along with the belt. I also leveled the deck.

The problem I am having is that the right side where the grass shoots out will only cut the grass about half the height as the rest of the deck. It also looks kinda chewed up.

Please have patience with me to try and get this fixed. I cant pay for a new mower and have about an acre to mow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
My guess is you are cutting too much at once and/or too fast. If the clippings can't clear away fast enough, they press down on the uncut grass giving an uneven cut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing too and started cutting on 3 not 6 and it didnt really make a difference. If that was it though how come it would be on just one side?

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
If that was it though how come it would be on just one side?
All the clippings have to make their way from left to right. The further right, the more the clippings as they join up with those to the left. The chute on the right is a bit of a gauntlet and if there is any wetness to the grass, it can build up there enough for clumps to push down the grass.

Try mowing a test strip with 50% overlap and see how the cut turns out.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
OH, OH, OH! Try Gator blades. The OEM blades are really thin and flexible. They can setup an oscillation resulting in an uneven cut. You can hear it happen when you get into some heavier cutting.

The Gator blades are much stiffer and won't vibrate like a tuning fork.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. See my thread "Won't Cut Right". The tractor worked perfect for 5+ years and suddenly last fall the right side seemed to quit cutting. Deck is level, spindles are good, belt is pretty new, blades are sharp & on correctly. I feel your pain brother!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the same problem on my '07 DYS4500 with 42" deck. Three great seasons and then a ***. At first I thought it was grass build-up on the underside of the deck. We had a ton of rain this spring and the grass was growing like there was no tomorrow. I was cutting on the highest stop and even removed the deck every hour of mowing to clean it. No luck. I had the Lowes copy Gators on it at the time. Changed them out to the original non-mulching blades and it improved. I think the grass was releasing a ton more water with the copy blades. Went thru the full deck leveling procedure, including tires, and it almost cured it. Now with the "summer grass" there is hardly an issue. LLigetfa may have been on da money in my case- too much grass, too wet- with the right side getting flattened. If I notice it again and come up with a sure-fire fix I'll post, but in the mean time I'll be watching for a working remedy too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts