My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who DESIGNS this junk?? Today I finally got the little Craftsman GT on the hoist and had to tear apart the entire steering mechanism to clean, de-rust, and grease it. It's not MADE to be greased, there's not one zerk anywhere except for the wheel bearings, and the previous owner didn't bother with THEM, either. What a pain.

Anyhow, while I was at it, I decided to perform the ultimate crime.-----I removed all the safeties from the machine. I've had trouble with them, and they are more trouble than they're worth. Worse, the one on the PTO simply doesn't work right, may be a switch problem

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
A little "Red October" humor... The Craftsman looks serious with a blower and blade. Take care..:trink39:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great setup. Shouldn't take too long to get the snow cleaned up with that setup. slkpk

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Um, Whats with the snowblower on the back? How is that mounted? Does it work back there?

·
Registered
547 Posts
One ping...and one ping only....

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Who DESIGNS this junk?? Today I finally got the little Craftsman GT on the hoist and had to tear apart the entire steering mechanism to clean, de-rust, and grease it. It's not MADE to be greased, there's not one zerk anywhere except for the wheel bearings, and the previous owner didn't bother with THEM, either. What a pain.
You're saying that GT's steering in the picture is junk? I tell you what I have one that has
used and abused for 20 years and the only steering failure I've had was one worn
out tie rod. I've moved more manure on our cow lots than you can shake a stick
at. It has untold hours on it, wish I had put a meter on it when I got. I've oiled
the steering shaft I think twice. It's not a precision mechanism but it works and
is definitely not junk.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Get rid of that POS. I will send you a formula to make dynomite so you can sink that tub.:ROF :ROF

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're saying that GT's steering in the picture is junk? I tell you what I have one that has
used and abused for 20 years an.
Well it certainly is a pain to pull apart just to lube. The "junk" part I'm referring to is the fact that it's not particulary impervious to water, and difficult to grease--'specially without zerks. I haven't had this for long, just last fall, so the damage was done long ago.

Justin, the blower was "failed backyard engineering." I'd bought a beatup blower that fit "something else" (there seems to be an unending amount of different blower mountings for these) and after discovering how difficult it'd be to modify for the front, I decided to mount an 8-10 hp tiller motor I had on it and mount on the rear. The idea was it would provide more weight, and I could leave the blade up front. THAT part was OK The real problem is that

The engine I used was WAAYYYY too small.

The position of the engine got it constantly bombarded with snow and ice, I'm not sure I could have solved that problem.

the solution came later in the season, in a completely different form:

Found an aging SS-16 WITH blower and mower deck, for 300 bucks. Put about another 75--100 into parts--it needed an ag u joint/ yoke repaired and THAT thing flat moves the snow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well it certainly is a pain to pull apart just to lube. The "junk" part I'm referring to is the fact that it's not particulary impervious to water, and difficult to grease--'specially without zerks. I haven't had this for long, just last fall, so the damage was done long ago.

It's called a CRaazy Ivan. :fing20:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Isn't that Craftsman using the snow adaptation of "caterpillar propulsion" (magneto-freezyhydrodynamic drive)? No one can hear you sneaking in to clear their driveway in the middle of the night?

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
I said "speak your mind Hydro" but Jeezus!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts