My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 71 ford LGT has a right angle gearbox, the ford guys say it is a jacobsen tractor anyways. .

Could someone tell me how to regrease and with what grease, or how to fill it properly?

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Are you referring to the reversing gear box? A small round geared drive for changing
direction of rotation? Post a pic or two.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think he might have a 72, standard shift tube frame, these have a right angle box that is shaft driven from the engine then changes to belt for the trans. I have one I used for a rear pto drive, it is filled with grease. I took out the 4 top cover bolts and made sure it was full of goop, and it was, but I have seen them with only a tease of grease. Some even had a grease fitting on them, so a good look is in order.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Fill it up with grease and it should be fine. I like the stuff from Lucas called "Red N Tacky II" it has worked beautifully for me for many years now.

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
That is a Peerless P91 Right Angle Drive (Tecumseh).

The spec calls for Bentonite Grease - which is about $17 a tube. It is specified because it is water resistant/resilient.

Remove the 4 screws on the top cover. Fill it within a 1/2 inch of the top, and you are done.

These boxes were used on a surprising variety of lawn equipment, from Ford/Jacobsen to Sears, to Murray and even Gravely.

The parts are all available from Tecumseh, but be prepared for a shock at the price! They are easy to disassemble & work on and the shafts & gears are held in place with e-clips.

I have a pair of these on a Gravely 408 deck (pictured below), and had to replace a bevel gear in one after hitting a rock. Too bad the Woodruff Key didn't shear instead! I try to keep spares on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts