My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Well @Fish007 got several opinions, maybe too many 馃槈.

More details about budget and requirements will help. Unfortunately, the ability to take the best advice will likely have to wait. I was told this (and knew it too) that the best thing to do is to try them out.

Months ago (years really) I knew I wanted something more than my X300. I purchased it new 13 years ago. It was supposed to be my wife's. She used to do the mowing at our old house, since I am alergic to grass. At that time I was thinking the low end 100 series, but we went to the dealer to look at what they had.

The salesperson showed us the X300. I test drove both and there was no question that the X300 was better in every way. If the salesperson had spent a little effort, she might have been able to sell us the X500. But she didn't read any of my signals and settled for the quick sale.

The X300 is a fine mower but not the best choice for our property that has trails and fields more than lawn. My wife decided she liked riding horses more that lawn tractors, so mowing became my job. The X300 has been fine all these years, but I didn't love using it. So, I have been looking at what to get for years.

I got serious about it last fall. I got advice to go sit on them and drive them around. I took a long time to follow this excellent advice, because it takes more effort to go to the dealer and they only time they were (that I could go) was Saturday morning and the weather was not great.

The first time I went it was cold and somewhat wet, but I learned a LOT. I felt the X739 was TOO big for what I wanted. People are saying, but it's only a few inches bigger. That is true, but those inches make all the difference. I have a big (actually small Compact, bigger than subcompact) tractor for real tractor work. So what I wanted is a mower.

Now that I have used it some, I am happy with my choice. Any bigger would be too big. I have the 48" deck. It is almost too big for some spots. Since my "lawn" is not flat and level, even the 48" is too big to get a great cut. I might have to do some work to make the ground smoother. Luckily, I have the tools to do that 馃槈

I got the X534. It is a few inches bigger than my X300, but it is actually more nimble (AWS really makes a difference). If you have a wide open lawn, you don't need AWS.

Now that I have AWS, it is fun. I also see why some people don't like it. On sharp turns the whole mower leans, so cut will not be level. There are many people who complain about that. When going at high speed the steering is "twitchy". It takes some getting used to. As the driver you have to be subtle with your cues or you will get a lot more change than what you wanted. I have never felt unsafe driving it and have fun (and a smile) every time I drive it.

So go out and test drive them to help with the decision, but wait till it is safe to do that.

Premium Member
Well @Fish007 got several opinions, maybe too many 馃槈.

More details about budget and requirements will help. Unfortunately, the ability to take the best advice will likely have to wait. I was told this (and knew it too) that the best thing to do is to try them out.

Months ago (years really) I knew I wanted something more than my X300. I purchased it new 13 years ago. It was supposed to be my wife's. She used to do the mowing at our old house, since I am alergic to grass. At that time I was thinking the low end 100 series, but we went to the dealer to look at what they had.

The salesperson showed us the X300. I test drove both and there was no question that the X300 was better in every way. If the salesperson had spent a little effort, she might have been able to sell us the X500. But she didn't read any of my signals and settled for the quick sale.

The X300 is a fine mower but not the best choice for our property that has trails and fields more than lawn. My wife decided she liked riding horses more that lawn tractors, so mowing became my job. The X300 has been fine all these years, but I didn't love using it. So, I have been looking at what to get for years.

I got serious about it last fall. I got advice to go sit on them and drive them around. I took a long time to follow this excellent advice, because it takes more effort to go to the dealer and they only time they were (that I could go) was Saturday morning and the weather was not great.

The first time I went it was cold and somewhat wet, but I learned a LOT. I felt the X739 was TOO big for what I wanted. People are saying, but it's only a few inches bigger. That is true, but those inches make all the difference. I have a big (actually small Compact, bigger than subcompact) tractor for real tractor work. So what I wanted is a mower.

Now that I have used it some, I am happy with my choice. Any bigger would be too big. I have the 48" deck. It is almost too big for some spots. Since my "lawn" is not flat and level, even the 48" is too big to get a great cut. I might have to do some work to make the ground smoother. Luckily, I have the tools to do that 馃槈

I got the X534. It is a few inches bigger than my X300, but it is actually more nimble (AWS really makes a difference). If you have a wide open lawn, you don't need AWS.

Now that I have AWS, it is fun. I also see why some people don't like it. On sharp turns the whole mower leans, so cut will not be level. There are many people who complain about that. When going at high speed the steering is "twitchy". It takes some getting used to. As the driver you have to be subtle with your cues or you will get a lot more change than what you wanted. I have never felt unsafe driving it and have fun (and a smile) every time I drive it.

So go out and test drive them to help with the decision, but wait till it is safe to do that.
The reason I wouldn't advise on an X500 series is because the attachments are pricey new and scarce and still pricey if buying anything for a used X500 series tractor.
That is why I suggested the used 355D I mentioned on an earlier post on this thread. There are alot more used attachments out there to purchase at a decent price compared to anything as far as X500 series equipment.
The OP though never said what his budget is for everything he wanted or how much of the 8 acres he owns he wants to till.
So I guess until he comes back we are all just guessing as to what is best for him.

Registered
Well, he did say this:
Thinking new and our land is flat. I have about 8 acres that are being cultivated by a farmer
So it seems he does not plan on cultivating 8 acres with an X500 (even one of the old X500s, which are like the X700s of today, would be a little small for that, it seems).

Maybe the OP is busy at work, or maybe got too many opinions. Hopefully, he will be back and get more advice that takes into account his specific needs.

Registered
So Fish said he has no experience with Tractors and he wants to go new- yet many of recommendations are 20 year old tractors. So anyway going new next question is budget -- a X500 series tractor would easily take care of mowing and snow blowing chores- new set up looking at about 10 grand give or take depending on what model 500 series you got. A 1 series would take Snowplowing and any other tasks on your 8 acres -- not a very good mower so might want to add a X300 series LT-- but then you are up to 25 grand or so. Another option is get a year or two old 500 series tractor and snow blower package with warranty left and you can save a few thousand-- and still have peace of mind, quality relatively new JD equipment is not cheap, but it will do the job and last you a very long time

Premium Member
Money no object, this should fit all his needs except no mower deck. Sell the FEL to pay for mower deck.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts