My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8122 which runs fine but I do not use it much. I could really use a loader on a small tractor and now have a bead drawn on a small 48" loader. I have searched thru the threads here and have seen Gravely riders with loaders but haven't found a really satisfactory answer. I really would like to hear honest experiences from folks who have used a loader on a similar tractor. Obviously, no power steering and have the hand direction control lever.
My questions are:

If I mount up this loader (a Johnson I think) to an 8122, how well does the team work?
Do you get excessive clutch wear?
Too many levers to yank and pull?
I don't have many grades, but is the brake adequate to arrest a burdened tractor/loader?

Clearly the tractor is massive enough to handle the strain with the possible exception of the front spindle/wheel/bearing/tire combination. That I can very easily fix. I would not plan on snow removal or moving 30 tons of dirt in 8 hours. Just occasional aggregate moving and transporting heavy and troublesome loads. I wouldn't anticipate steering effort problems with the limited use I expect it to see. The 12hp is more that sufficient given the traction and gearing available.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I can only address your question about too many levers, as I have a JD 318 with hydro and power steering to run my loader.

What I do not like is that my direction control lever is on the opposite side of the steering wheel than my hydraulic control levers. So, I have to switch hands on the steering wheel all the time. If your 8122 is the same setup and you lack power steering, I feel you will be miserable.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I would also be interested in hearing about peoples' experiences with loaders on 8000-series and G-series tractors.

Also "dozer" front ends.

Thanks.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
There is a 20-G with a loader down in the Keys. The owner will only give it up when he dies. A 24-G would be a good candidate for one with its power steering.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a 816 with a 16.5HP Onan and use a Kwik-Way loader on it, if loaded heavy it hard steering but not that bad. I converted mine to a foot controlled forward-reverse, just make the double pedal, (rocker style) for direction control and put it in place of the hand lever. with the lighter Kohler you may need to add the rear weight rack or make one. I use mine year round, pile snow six or more feet high
Dan 2N

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I've always thought a Gravely would be a good GT to put a loader as it has the engine weight on the rear where its needed and not on the front adding to the front end weight.
The loader has to have a pump so a power steering set up like that on a Simplicity Sunstar uses would solve that problem.For serious front end loader work I'd rework the front end using trailer spindles and hubs or salvage some spindles off a small compact tractor

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. A few less than expected but we'll see.
The point may be moot. The loader is 29" wide between the towers and the 8122 is nearly such from left foot rest to the outboard tip of direction lever handle. Tight. As OSHA would label it... a pinch point! At minimum a think a new lever would be in order. Fore/aft location would seem to place the towers with in the operation arc of the handle.
Hmm...perhaps loaders and these Gravelys don't mix. I do have that 1200 Chief Jacobsen over there...
Thanks again folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts