My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 817 re-powered with 12 hp Kohler. I found a late model 8122 I was going to use for parts. Mainly the late style clutches and controls. Both trannys have issues.The 817 needs a bearing at the brake hub, and the 8122 has a cracked case. I can rebuild the tranny for the 817 using the later clutch shafts, or use the pump from the 817 for the 8122 and convert that tractor to hydro. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The overriding consideration for me would be the axles. Keyed axle failure is not a question of if but when. If the 8122 has tapered axles I'd go with the second choice. If not, I'd pass on it as a donor and maybe try to find an 8123-G.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, RedRider.
I am pretty sure both tractors have keyed axles. I bought a smaller home and going to thin out my Gravely herd. I plan on keeping 1 C-8 until I can rebuild the H/L planetary on my C-10.But that is another story. The rider I'm going to build is going to be a Frankenstein model. Short frame hydraulic lift with a 800 series LSD differential and steering brakes. Powered by a Briggs 18 HP Vanguard.. I'm gonna guess its easier to use the 800 series chassis, but the 8122 is much nicer and cleaner looking. But just wondering if someone has done the manual to hydro conversion.
Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I Did kinda think about that. But figured could always remove the steering brake easily if it did not work out. has anyone have experience using a tractor with a LSD rear? Do they work well? I have steering brakes on my JD 300 They are great on hills. A couple of years ago I tried to decide to keep the JD or the 8122 and It was a tie,so I kept them both.But since moving to a smaller property thats not an option anymore. Really I should not need a rider any more. But don't tell my wife. Got her convinced need 1 rider, 1 WB, a couple of mower decks, snow plow, snowblower,sulky,rotory plow, cultivator,sickle mower, sprayer, power broom, spare parts in the spare room, ect. ect. ect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts