My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

Do you prefer hydraulic or manual lift on your rider?

• Manual Lift - Keep it simple please

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Hydraulic Lift - I'll take the easy route

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • One of each - Different setups for different tasks

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don't care - As long as it goes up and down I'm good!

Votes: 1 3.6%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have one of each and my dad has one of each. I have heard arguments for both sides and wonder what a friendly poll will show as preference for lift style on your rider.

Just curious what others think/feel.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
# 1 Manual lift for me. But I'm used to hand lifting mounted plows and cultivators on Allis Chalmers Bs.

Gravely riders with hydraulics have down pressure, right? I can see that being useful, so I won't rule out hydraulic lift. Maybe someday in the future a rider with hydraulics will fall into my hands.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I have one manual lift tractor. I am going to put hydraulics on it and when that happens, I will have no manual lifts. The big plus to hydraulics is the height is infinitely adjustable. If all the tractor is used for is mowing, then it isn't a big deal

·
Gravely1964
4,149 Posts
They both have there places. I grew up on a cub cadet with hydraulics and found them slow for certain things. like lifting the mower deck over rocks and objects. I do like my 818t gravely hydraulics better as they have down pressure. Which is great for heavy attachments like snowblowers and gradeing with a dozer blade. For snow plowing quick up and down movement is great with manual lift.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
# 1 Manual lift for me. But I'm used to hand lifting mounted plows and cultivators on Allis Chalmers Bs.

Gravely riders with hydraulics have down pressure, right? I can see that being useful, so I won't rule out hydraulic lift. Maybe someday in the future a rider with hydraulics will fall into my hands.
The hydraulic system has down pressure, but the way many attachments are connected to it no down pressure is applied. Mower decks and snow blades have a slide that allows them to be lifted, but not forced down.

But it can be put to use has I have done on my snow blade, as discribed in this thread:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=204196&page=6

Sheldon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hydraulics - it's all I got! Also because the main reason for getting this tractor was to have a snowblower my wife could steer and manual lift would likely be just as difficult for her.

·
Super Moderator
13,139 Posts
Hydraulic lift for me. After years of using manual lifts on the 430, and 814, the 816's hydraulic lift was a pleasure to use with the plow, and blower.

I have all of the hydraulic parts to convert the 814, and electric lift parts to convert the 430. The only thing I still need is the time to install everything.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
While hydraulic is able to be set anywhere, only the manuals go back to the same setting for height every time.
I can set my hydraulic lift back to the same setting every single time....as long as that setting is all the way at the top or all the way at the bottom.:sidelaugh

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I should point out that there is another reason I have asked this question. I am debating converting my 8182-T back to it's former 8183-T. It sure is nice being simple but at points I miss the hydraulic. From what I'm seeing here though, unless I'm running something on the front or a rear cultivator, it isn't worth it. Seeing as I don't have a front drive kit or a rear cultivator, no big deal!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The old family 424 had manual lift and we used it for years for mowing with the 50" deck, and for plowing snow.

Now I have two four wheelers with hydraulic lift and would never go back. Much better for plowing snow and mowing IMO.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why are the poll results hidden?
Because I didn't know what I was doing when I set it up.. they will show in 14 days when the poll ends.. I hope! I messed up! :sorry1:

If a mod can fix that.. won't hurt my feelings a bit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have a manual. I like it. Only had it a couple months so what do I know? I know with the helper springs the rotary plow and 40 inch deck hanging off the front are easy to pick up.
I know there's a really clean looking 812 with hydraulics in Roanoke, VA that I want.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,737 Posts
I have a manual. I like it. Only had it a couple months so what do I know? I know with the helper springs the rotary plow and 40 inch deck hanging off the front are easy to pick up.
I know there's a really clean looking 812 with hydraulics in Roanoke, VA that I want.
A lift assist kit and aux lift kit make all attachments easier to lift.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shameless bump to the top so this thread doesn't get lost on page 2,3,or 4 before the results are shown. Again I'm sorry I checked the wrong box in the setup!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts