My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dave
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you do when the wife orders 10 yards of bark mulch and wants you to move it around the yard? You make a barrel buck for your Gravely. I had an empty 55 gallon drum that was taking up space in the shed, an extra mount for the rider for a snowblower and some odds and ends of scrap metal so decided I'd put together a barrel loader. Cut the barrel at about the 3/4's point, add a piece of 1 1/2 angle iron to stiffen the top, cut up some 3/16 steel plate for attaching it some other odds and ends and no pushing mulch around in a wheel barrow. Dumps by hand at the moment but I've got a 12v linear actuator laying around that might work. Any a few hours cutting fitting and welding was all it took to save my back.
IMG_0123[1].JPG IMG_0126[1].JPG IMG_0124[1].JPG

·
close enuff works for me
3,052 Posts
Put a cutting edge on the bottom of the barrel ,add actuator, and you won't need to buy a bucket ,,,,looking very good

·
Administrator
5,514 Posts
Looks like that should do the trick. I wouldn't try digging to much dirt with it though.

I got lucky, a friend gave me a bunch of flat metal from old electrical panels that I was able to make a bucket from. So far it has held up to that load of road gravel in the background.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
So what do you do when the wife orders 10 yards of bark mulch and wants you to move it around the yard? You make a barrel buck for your Gravely. I had an empty 55 gallon drum that was taking up space in the shed, an extra mount for the rider for a snowblower and some odds and ends of scrap metal so decided I'd put together a barrel loader. Cut the barrel at about the 3/4's point, add a piece of 1 1/2 angle iron to stiffen the top, cut up some 3/16 steel plate for attaching it some other odds and ends and no pushing mulch around in a wheel barrow. Dumps by hand at the moment but I've got a 12v linear actuator laying around that might work. Any a few hours cutting fitting and welding was all it took to save my back.
View attachment 2461621 View attachment 2461621 View attachment 2461619 View attachment 2461620
That's awesome. Good going and using what you have on hand. Run what ya brung. That's been my motto for 30 years. (y)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm impressed!! Great engineering! I just used a JB Jr to move 20yds of mulch...it's a lot of work!

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Dave
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 2461621 View attachment 2461621 View attachment 2461619 View attachment 2461620

·
Dave
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today's upgrade - found a linear actuator in the pile of stuff that will be some use some day and added it to the barrel bucket - no hand dumping today. Do need to get one for the other side cause the barrel twists a bit with a load of mulch in it. But heck for a few hours time I got something that does what I need it to do and I cleaned out some of the junk in the shed !
IMG_0127[1].JPG IMG_0128[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
That's truly awesome.

I don't have a 55 gallon barrel lying around, but you're making me want to go find one.

How sturdy is the bottom edge? IOW, will it pick up only loose stuff, or could I do some light excavating with it?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I have a 40 Gal water heater tank just waiting on time to do something with it. Even with a 55 Gal barrel just double the cutting edge with the cut out barrel segment and put a heavier metal edge on it. I will three point mount mine so the blade can be retained on the front end on the Ariens GT. That way to can also be used as a weight box in the winter time.

·
Dave
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's truly awesome.

I don't have a 55 gallon barrel lying around, but you're making me want to go find one.

How sturdy is the bottom edge? IOW, will it pick up only loose stuff, or could I do some light excavating with it?
The barrel itself isn't strong enough for anything like digging, even the mulch caused the barrel to flex. It;s light weight steel, they just don't make them like they used to. The water heater tank mentioned above would probably work better. I guess I need to check out the metal scrap pile at the landfill :)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,101 Posts
I've used 275 gallon oil tank cut down to make a loader bucket for a Ford 600 tractor I had,it came with a dinky bucket that was not even as wide as the front tires and proved pretty useless in snow..not only did the tractor get stuck easy due to the snow the front tires packed down,the bucket did not hold much at all --it had a Wagner "pipe frame" type loader..
The oil tank was about 3/16" thick and all I did was add another strip of the same metal on the bottom to stiffen it up enough--I never used it to dig dirt,but it did hold up well to some frozen snow banks without damage..

Old air compressor or propane tanks are nice thick steel,so is some water heaters..older ones were thicker and had better steel than newer ones..

·
Citizen of Earth
15,279 Posts
WOW!!!!! You guys are GOOD!!!! Nice fabrication on both machines!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts