My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys after many years of looking I finally picked up another decent rider and also with the front drive kit I've always wanted :D :D

Bought this on Tuesday night fellas for $700. I think I did good an 8163-B with front drive kit 40 inch commercial mower needs belts ( not a big deal to me its an easy enough fix) has hydraulic lift that works and it runs and drives. Needs front tires but otherwise im gonna do some maintenance like filters and fluids. Otherwise its in good shape :D . Pto free play is good.

Bringing her home and just what I started out with. Not much changed (chuckle)
:dancingpaHere she is running and driveing
http://youtu.be/10gXSUhKfR0
:dancingpa

Attachments

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Very nice! I noticed the label on the drive head for the mower said RYE. I just have a couple of questions......is that the lubricant and what proof? :trink39:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Good snag Steven. The rest of the brood may be a little jealous. I'll predict by next blow-able snowfall you'll be taking vids of clearing the drive with a blower on the front of that. The older girls will be wonderin'............

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It looks and sounds great :fing32: Are you going to put the front drive kit on the 818T eventually, or just leave it on the 8163-B?

I'd like to complete my 800/8000 series short frame front drive kit for my 816, and pick up a 400 series with front drive, too.

Then I'll stop buying riders, I promise. But what do you do when they just show up, like the 8102 :dunno:

·
4,156 Posts

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good snag Steven. The rest of the brood may be a little jealous. I'll predict by next blow-able snowfall you'll be taking vids of clearing the drive with a blower on the front of that. The older girls will be wonderin'............
:thanku: Nah they all get along well. No fights with many new brothers lately hehe. To be honest I have no plans of a blower for my riders. But if I find one for cheap all bets are off lol. But I'll never forget my walk behind roots and what started my gravely addiction ( thats right I admitted it lol)

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks and sounds great :fing32: Are you going to put the front drive kit on the 818T eventually, or just leave it on the 8163-B?

I'd like to complete my 800/8000 series short frame front drive kit for my 816, and pick up a 400 series with front drive, too.

Then I'll stop buying riders, I promise. But what do you do when they just show up, like the 8102 :dunno:
Well here are my thoughts. Leave the front drive kit on the 8163-b and if the 818t doesn't shape up and run reliably im gonna sell it. I think im tired dicking around with it after 2 years. But there will be an update soon on the 818t just need to put a fuel pump on. If that fixes it Im keeping it too :fing32:

the complete front drive kit is why I grabbed it. Wasn't even for sale for 24 hrs :D

And as Canary Al said just buy them :trink39: One can never have too many. I am low on space now though :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

·
Registered
264 Posts
I saw that on CL and thought it was an odd combo. Sounds pretty good! I need to get one of those 40" decks for my 522 as an exercise plan.

·
Registered
858 Posts
:maddd:well, you can count me among the envious. I am looking for that setup so I can use my rotary plow. I could also use the 40" deck, but I would also get a 50" mower.

Very nice catch!

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my other 40 inch deck put on a few nights ago and cut my grass. And the neighbors field and ...............

Anyways im useing this deck till I put new belts on the other one. I really like mowing with this setup. Only thing I don't like is. I can't lock it in reverse which is a pain and comes with the newer tractors :banghead3 and my brake pedal won't kick it out of gear. I think it should right? Just needs adjusted I believe Other than that I love mowing with it.
Only thing left I need to do maintenance wise is change the tranny oil. :drunkie:

Attachments

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Got my other 40 inch deck put on a few nights ago and cut my grass. And the neighbors field and ...............

Anyways im useing this deck till I put new belts on the other one. I really like mowing with this setup. Only thing I don't like is. I can't lock it in reverse which is a pain and comes with the newer tractors :banghead3 and my brake pedal won't kick it out of gear. I think it should right? Just needs adjusted I believe Other than that I love mowing with it.
Only thing left I need to do maintenance wise is change the tranny oil. :drunkie:
Lockup in reverse went out with the cam clutches. As yours has the newer grill, it also should have the trunnion cup clutches that don't lock in reverse. And yes, the brake is supposed to kick it out of gear.

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys a scored this blower at the swap meet yesterday. Canary Al you were right looks like I'll be blowing snow with a rider this winter :D. And im ready for snow. I couldn't resist hooking it up :fing32:. :fing20: what do you mean its summer :biglaugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Locate that front wheel/tire at the Chambersburg meet gravely1964? I could not make it afterall. 2.5hrs is just too much. Did enjoy your video and Ron's photos though. BTW, found a parts machine up your way you need to have a look at. It has your front wheel/tire and then some.

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Locate that front wheel/tire at the Chambersburg meet gravely1964? I could not make it afterall. 2.5hrs is just too much. Did enjoy your video and Ron's photos though. BTW, found a parts machine up your way you need to have a look at. It has your front wheel/tire and then some.
No I did not locate a front wheel or tire. Shoot me a pm on the parts machine I could always use one. Really it was a quick trip. I know 2.5 hrs isn't short but its almost all interstate. rt 22 to 220 to I 70 and then to rt 30 I believe, wasn't a bad trip at all.

·
4,156 Posts
Well guys a scored this blower at the swap meet yesterday. Canary Al you were right looks like I'll be blowing snow with a rider this winter :D. And im ready for snow. I couldn't resist hooking it up :fing32:. :fing20: what do you mean its summer :biglaugh:
And you almost didn't go! congrats.

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys an update to the 8163-B thread. Got a front tire and rim combo from rlordjr. Thanks again man its exactly what I was looking for :trink39:. I excitedly ran off to install it and forgot to grab pics of the tire afterwards on the tractor :hide:

I then set off to mow the yard.
Note this is where today went south I knew it went to smooth!
THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE BULLETIN ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR FRONT LATCHES ARE LOCKED WITH PINS. Otherwise you could back away from your deck like I did when one or both latches bonce up. U joint came off deck side. Spun around and smashed the bottom of the grill. Before I could get the pto shut down :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

Luckily only damage done on of course the last pass of the yard. see pics below.One was the bottom of front grill other was pieces. No visible damage was done in pic 2 and installed the mentioned pins. Before more damage was done.
Otherwise ran great :thThumbsU :thThumbsU

I'll grab some more pic's another day of course when there's less going on

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That broken piece sucks Steven. At least its out of sight and not any worse than it is.

Glad you got the tractor going none the less. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Lucky that you didn't damage any expensive front drive parts! The grille is easy enough to replace, or you can just leave it since you can't see the damage from above (I probably would let it be).

·
4,156 Posts
Did you put a fuel pump on that 818T yet?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Oops! I did that one time with the rotary plow on the front. Showed some guys how to run it at the school and left to do other stuff. When I got back they took awhile to tell me "that thing kept getting cockeyed if we backed up with it in the ground"...DOH! Totally left the pins out. Luckily no damage to anything but my forehead after I smacked myself a few times. :fing20:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts