My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't planning making any sort of box or cover for the battery on this Ridemaster cart.
Then I saw this neat battery cover with a lid on it at the Buckley swapmeet yesterday.
The overall cover is the right size to fit the old 6-volt battery's.
There is smaller raised area on the top of it that has an access lid on it.
This raised area is the right size to fit over a small garden tractor battery.
I cut the raised area off from the top of the battery cover.

After I cut a strip of sheet metal, I then rolled the corners to form a box.

Then I welded it to the battery cover to make a nice battery box.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good idea and work on the box.:fing32:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
great idea on the bat box i might make one similar for my tractor

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had to cut the metal back on both sides of the battery tray for clearance for the new battery box.

Then comes the interesting part. .....
The corners on the battery tray are square and the corners on the battery box are rounded.
Also, the length of the battery box is shorter than the tray but the width of the battery box is wider than the tray.
First I formed the bottom of the box so it had square corners.
Then I notched the corners so the ends of the box can set inside of the tray and the front and rear sides of the box can set outside of the tray.

Here's how the box looks fit onto the tray.

Next the bracket for the gas tank would not clear the top of the battery box.
I notched the tank mounting plate so the tank bracket will fit on the front side of the plate instead of the back side.

With the tank bracket re-mounted, it now clears the top of the box and allows enough room for the lid to open so I can get to the battery cable bolts.

I welded angle iron brackets on the front and rear sides for bolting the box down.

I also welded angle iron brackets on the inside so they clamp the battery in place as the box is bolted down.

I still have to drill holes in the front side of the box for the battery cables to go thru.
These will have rubber grommets to protect the cables.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
OHHHH K.I see.The box top is for servicing.To remove/replace the battery the box lifts off.Is this correct?Also,could you rotate the tank mount 180* so it's more over the engine?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OHHHH K.I see.The box top is for servicing.To remove/replace the battery the box lifts off.Is this correct?Also,could you rotate the tank mount 180* so it's more over the engine?
That is correct.
Originally, the lid would have been for checking the water in the old 6-volt battery.
The gas tank bracket won't clear the engine if I rotate it 180 degrees.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
That is correct.
Originally, the lid would have been for checking the water in the old 6-volt battery.
The gas tank bracket won't clear the engine if I rotate it 180 degrees.
Thanks for clearing that up and to bad the tank bracket won't clear.I'm sure you'll come up with something cleaver for it.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The battery box and gas tank location are going to work out fine.
I drilled two holes in the front side of the battery box and installed rubber grommets in them.
The location of the gas tank still allows enough room for the lid to open and easily fasten the battery cables on.

The positive cable runs down to the starter solenoid.

The ground cable goes to the engine block.
I will have to take the tank off when I want to remove the battery but that won't be any problem either.
The tank is mounted with 3-bolts and they are easy to reach as you can see here.

·
Super Moderator
31,892 Posts
Looking real nice!! I gotta say in that first pic of the battery in the box I cringed a little.. looked like those terms were REAL close to the box!!!! The second pic shows them much farther away though. Must of been the angle of the pic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts