·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ridemaster build http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=139241

-1 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=139358

-2 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=140420

-3 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=140928

.....................................................................................................

Ray,
When are we gonna get an update on the Ridemaster? Just curious, have not heard anything about it in a while.
Joe

I've been busy finishing up the R/T tractor and going to some of the Antique Tractor shows around here.
I did get some more work done on the Ridemaster cart in the last few weeks and have gathered enough photos for another post.

This is a motorcycle oil cooler that I got off ebay.

It is mounted underneath the engine, along side of the cooling fan for the hydro transmission.

I had fittings put on the ends of the hose so they fit onto the hydro transmission.
One hose comes from top of the hydro pump and goes into the cooler.
The other hose runs from the cooler to the return fitting on the side of the transmission.

This is the control lever that is used to raise and lower the engine on the original drive system for a Ridemaster.
This lever will control the forward, neutral & reverse on the hydrostatic transmission.

Using a shift control cable, I mounted one end to this lever.

The shift lever for the hydro is underneath the transmission and moves forward and backward.
The shift cable will be mounted along side the transmission and will move up and down.
I need to build a 90 degree shift bracket that will change the cable's up & down motion to a forward & backward motion.

These are the parts that I built for this bracket.
The control arm at the top left fits onto the pin on the transmission shifter lever.
It is attached to a lever that is welded on a shaft.
This shaft fits into the round steel tube at the top right.
This steel tube has brass bushings in each end.
The lever at the bottom right clamps on the end of the shaft and the arm on the bottom left will fasten to it and connect to the shifter cable.

With the 90 degree bracket all assembled, this is how it looks with the shift cable attached to it.

Here's a view of the 90 degree bracket with all the linkage attached.

A side view of the overall shifter cable assembly.

·
Registered
595 Posts
looking great! did that hydrostatic transmission originally have an oil cooler, or were those ports you tapped into originally for something else?

tmm

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did that hydrostatic transmission originally have an oil cooler, or were those ports you tapped into originally for something else?
tmm
I don't know.
I got the hydro transmission off ebay and they said it came out of a Bolens 1556 tractor.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
looking great! did that hydrostatic transmission originally have an oil cooler, or were those ports you tapped into originally for something else?
Usually not, or I'm not aware of implementations that have them. Granted they're usually mounted in a transaxle which doubles as a reservoir and would provide more cooling due to the size/surface area.

As Dave mentioned that top port he tapped into is from the charge pump; its primary purpose is to feed the hydrostatic pump, but it also provides around 500PSI and about a GPM or so for auxiliary circuits.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I love the approach on the drive train, what a great way to mix up the old and new! Maybe you could hook up some hydro steering too? Also, the trailer basket is a cool little addition....
However, may I be so blunt and not be rude, those seats are like a needle scratching off a record. The first thought when I see them is just what the look like, somebody just slapped on a pair of old school chairs to be cheap. (No offense, it's just what I see when I look at it.)
I would look at something with a flat seat pad and a narrow seat back that is mounted above the seat pad and attached to a tube frame. (kinda like the seats on a golf cart)

I think in the long run, it would really tie the rest of the tractor in to make it look right. With those seats, they are going to distract from the tractor.

BTW: I am thinking something just like this, but in black... http://www.wheatroadgolf.com/ezgo/conversions/RS1000.jpg

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the approach on the drive train, what a great way to mix up the old and new! Maybe you could hook up some hydro steering too? Also, the trailer basket is a cool little addition....
However, may I be so blunt and not be rude, those seats are like a needle scratching off a record. The first thought when I see them is just what the look like, somebody just slapped on a pair of old school chairs to be cheap. (No offense, it's just what I see when I look at it.)
I would look at something with a flat seat pad and a narrow seat back that is mounted above the seat pad and attached to a tube frame. (kinda like the seats on a golf cart)

I think in the long run, it would really tie the rest of the tractor in to make it look right. With those seats, they are going to distract from the tractor.

BTW: I am thinking something just like this, but in black... http://www.wheatroadgolf.com/ezgo/conversions/RS1000.jpg
No offense taken, everyone judges things according to their own personal likes and dislikes.

The reason I used the plastic seats were:
#1- they were cheep ( heck, they were free ).
#2- they are yellow and that is the color of the original seat.
#3- I think they blend better with the old style looks of the Ridemaster than what a more modern golf course seat would.

This is going to have a yellow, buggy style tractor canopy over the seats and I think it will make everything blend in better once it is all done and painted.
I'm going to ask that you hold off on a final judgment until after it is finished.
It still may not be 100% to your liking but maybe it will look better to you.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
You may very well be right, I think the canopy will help blend them in better too. If I am wrong when it's finished, I will be the first to admit it too. :fing32:
When I work on a project, I don't mind at all if someone calls out a design or build flaw... Sometimes it's the one area you are looking at and thinking that something is just not right... Sometimes you decide they can blow it out their rear and that you don't care if they like it or not because you do. Take the wheels on my Massey, I can't stand the thought of two-toning the front rims. The rear are, but the fronts are plain silver. The factory did two tone them, but I don't like it. Most everyone else said it did not look right and they should be painted too. It's all good! :trink39:

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take the wheels on my Massey, I can't stand the thought of two-toning the front rims. The rear are, but the fronts are plain silver. The factory did two tone them, but I don't like it. Most everyone else said it did not look right and they should be painted too. It's all good!
For what it's worth .. I like your Massey with the color on just the rims of the rear wheels matching the color of the front wheels.

People think it "doesn't look right" only because that is the way their use to seeing them from the factory.
Myself, I think it makes the tractor look more like a toy with that small center painted a different color on the front wheels.

Ive seen a lot of full size tractors painted with just the rear wheels two toned..

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
EXACTLY! All I think of is a Radio flyer wagon, or maybe one of those old peddle cars! It just looks like someone trying to make the front rims look like the rears with seperate centers, but did not pull it off.

In your spare time between projects... want to toss some spare parts into a sweet little tractor cab for me? :thanku:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ray,

Thanks for the update, that thing is going to be sweet! I really like the Hydro setup, the pump looks alot like a Sunstrand unit that was used by Deere, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Walker, for that matter is still used by Walker. They have been, in my experience, incredibly durable. I have to agree with Ingersoll444, though, a filter would be a VERY useful addition. Why they do not all have filters from the factory, I will never know.

Joe

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A filter is a good idea but I'm not familiar with what they used so I don't know what to look for.
Is it an inline filter that the return hose hooks to one end and then another hose goes to the side of the transmission ?
Or is it a filter bracket that takes a spin on filter ?
How big is the filter ( overall length and diameter ) ?

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ray,

All of the hydro filters I have ever seen have been a spin on kind. Usually, they are fairly large, much larger than an oil filter for a mower. The one for my 2004 JD X485 is HUGE! It is like 3.5-4.0 inch diameter and probably 8.0-10.0 inches tall! If I were you, I would try to buy a mount for a hydro filter from an Exmark Lazer Z Zero turn. Exmark's are plentiful, cheap, and parts are readily available. Plus, then you know the filter is intended for hydraulic duty. I do not know if an oil filter would work as a hydro filter. Please forgive my ignorance, they may be the same filter, I just do not know that for a fact.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ray, you want a "Oil Filter Base" Here is a link to one that would work good for you. You should be able to get it cheaper at NAPA.
http://www.adiesel.com/baldwinfilters/OB1305.html

:Stop: No! That's not a good one to use. It's for a bypass filter and has a restrictive orifice in the filter head and the "in" and "out" ports are only 1/8 NPT. You need to use a base for a full flow filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts