My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the dash box with the switches and amp gauge installed.
The wiring is run down along side the throttle and choke cables.
They are temporally fastened together with trash bag ties.

With the gas tank mounted where it is, it is hard to reach under it to a shutoff valve.
So I put a 90 degree elbow in the bottom of the gas tank and extended a pipe out the right side for the shutoff valve.

The ignition coil is mounted down on the frame under the engine on the right side.
The ballast resistor is mounted on the transmission mount just above the starter solenoid.

Here's what it will look like with the shields on.

So .. with all that completed, I put some gas in the tank, fired it up and drove it outside. :)

I'm glad I decided to go with the hydro transmission instead of using the stock V-belt drive.
The Ridemaster axle uses a worm drive so it doesn't roll easily on it's own.
However, if your driving it down an incline and put the drive in neutral, the momentum of the worm screw already turning will let the tractor continue to coast down the incline ( there aren't any brakes on a Ridemaster ).

With the hydro transmission, when I put the drive in neutral, the tractor stops just like I put on the brakes.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Looking good and bound to draw some attention at shows.

With it sitting outside like that it reminds me of those old Cat slip scrapers of years ago. The ones that had the power unit out front and some of them had a second pusher unit on the back.

Would be slick to build a small one of those with that power unit.

Mike (Just figuring a way to spend your time for you. 8>) )

·
Registered
595 Posts
beautiful! i can't wait to see it painted. can you make some videos of this thing in action??

tmm

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
Awesome build! I cant wait to see it painted!

·
Silent, Senior MTF Member
871 Posts
Ray, is that a weight behind the drive wheels? I suppose it could be a fender of sorts, but looks heavy to me. Another creative build!

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray, is that a weight behind the drive wheels? I suppose it could be a fender of sorts, but looks heavy to me.
Yes it is, Jim.
That weight is to counterbalance the weight of the stock Wisconsin engine.
On a stock tractor, that counterbalance weight is enough to offset the engine so the tractor doesn't feel unstable when turning.

However, with the extra weight that I've added up front, I feel like it needs some counterbalance weight in the rear.
If I turn the front wheel at a sharp 90 degrees, the engine weight is than hanging off to one side.
I can push down on the engine and the opposite rear wheel will come off the ground.
I'm planing on making some lead weights that will fit on the inside of the rear wheels.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Another great job Ray.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I decided that I didn't like the gas line running on the same side of the engine with the exhaust.
My 1948 Ridemaster has the gas line on the opposite side of the engine.
They mounted a fuel sediment bowl on the side of the engine and ran a steel line from the bowl, behind the flywheel shroud and over to the carb.
Then a rubber line was run from the tank to the bowl.

In 1950 they raised the gas tank and mounted the sediment bowl right on the tank.
They still kept the steel line running across the front and fastened it to a bracket on the left side of the engine.
From there it was connected to the bowl with a rubber line.

I copied that design and mounted a sediment bowl on the left side of the engine with a steel line going to the carb.
Then I turned the outlet tube around on the gas tank so it is coming out the left side and connected it to the bowl with a rubber line.

There was probably enough clearance between the gas line and the exhaust on the other side of the engine, but I feel much safer with the gas line run this way.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You know... a nice brass/copper line with a stress loop in it would look nice between the shutoff, and sediment bowl. :D
I like the idea of a copper line from the tank. It would make it look very professional.

However, with the rubber hose from the tank to the sediment bowl, it matches the other two Ridemasters that will be on display with it.

In spite of all the modifications, I've tried to maintain the looks of the Ridemasters wherever I could.
This will be painted the same colors and have the same decals as a stock Ridemaster.
That is why I chose the yellow seats because the original seats were yellow.
I'm going to put a buggy style canopy on it so Marie has some shade while she's riding around and that will be yellow also.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Straight from "Oklahoma" eh Ray!

A "Bright yellow surrey with a fringe on the top"

How about the curtains that will "Roll right down"?

That'll look really slick and add a touch of real class. Great idea!

Mike

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Mike, a surrey top is a lot different from a buggy top.
This is the style of canopy I want to put on it.
I think it will blend right in with the overall looks of the tractor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts