My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of any company that produces a smaller single or double ribbed tire,similar to the one in the pic. I am doing a restoration on a Jacobsen chief and need some new front tires the dimensions on the tire read 4.80/4.00-8.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
What I've experienced with Tri-Ribs on my Ingersoll 318LGT is they grip extremely well when turning (alleviates front end slide) and almost makes it feel like it has power steering plus I like the looks. The down side to them for me is they dig into the yard and leave cut marks in tight turns like around trees and shrubs. You might want to consider V61's which are a 5 rib. slkpk

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is there any reason you want the single or double ribs instead of going to a tri rib?

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No,I have no problem useing a tri rib tire,I dont realy like the look of a tire with over 3ribs I dont know why,but anyways I wont be using this tractor to mow since I have no mowing deck so I wont have to worry about the ribs cutting into my lawn. I figured with 1,2 or 3 more pronwnced ribs rather than 5 less pronounced ribs it will be easier to turn in the packed soil in my garden.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know what you mean, I have never seen the 1 or 2 rib in person but I definetly like the look of the 3 rib. I have 3 tractors running 3-ribs on the front, I even mow some with the JD and it has bar tread on the rear also. I had one machine with the 5 rib tire and it couldn't handle the side hill I mow with the JD, when I try to turn up the hill it would slide the front end. No trouble with the 3-rib tires

1 - 9 of 9 Posts