My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sense I'm having trouble with getting my '69 SC to start: :crybaby:

I decided to go shopping: :woohoo1: and bought my first four wheeler!!!

After a new plug, carb clean up and adjustments and some jimmy rigging on the wiring, I got it running "OK", more adjustments needed.

Cool stuff:
Four wheels!!! (actually three, one is flat)
Wheel weights (I'm guessing thats a must with the plow)?
Wheel brakes, I've read about them but never saw them up close

Things I need to fix or replace;

The right rear tire has a huge hole
Key ignition switch is locked up (i don't think it's original)
There isn't a starter button, just the key ignition
The seat pan/frame is totally rusted through
Nothing moves freely (it took two hand to choke it), it's better now
Something built a nest behind the dash
None of the lights work
I don't like where the muffler is located!
The plow is super heavy with rust
degrease, sand, prep, paint and grind

I can't wait to get on it and go . . .

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Looks like a good solid foundation for a nice restoration. Good grab!

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
:thThumbsU You are going to love that machine when you get it running. It will be awesome for snow plowing with the dual brakes. Hope the rehab goes smoothly, good luck, and have fun. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
cool new project

I just saw a ton of parts for those on 'the auction site'

If it's the parts I also saw, they're located at a shop not far from me. That seller tends to take apart nearly everything they receive and list it.

Great job on grabbing her up and keeping her from some other fate!! :fing32:

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I'd like to get it running and looking OK, then see what I should do with it. I'm sure I'll just keep it and find a reason to buy more and more, LOL.

I need a 23 x 8.50 tire. Does anyone have an extra one that they are willing to part with for a fair price?

The tire has a hole big enough to put my fist through!!

Also, what's color code for the Gravely Yellow? Does it come in a Rustoleum or does anyone know the PPG color code?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Excellent project. Once you have put the effort into getting it going and looking good, I'm sure you'll want to keep it. Good luck with the resto!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Congrats. It looks solid and complete.
As eveled said, You'll come to appreciate the steering brakes.
Yes, they will shorten your turning radius when needed, but they will also act as a limited slip when you apply just enough brake to a spinning wheel to stop it from spinning. Pretty neat.
Cub Cadet "Cadet Yellow" (also refered to as "old cub cadet yellow) #759-3258 is a perfect match to origional (...unless it's a 1972, as I found out :)) and Rustolium "Canvas White" is very close for everything white.
Craig Seabrook for hood, pan, etc. decals. The most accurate in color and finish I've seen. [email protected]
There should be a header/down pipe that runs from the head to just above the pan of the motor. This will place the muffler low on the tractor. I forget if the pipe is a Gravely or Kohler part. You'll see where the muffler ends up in the picture of the 814. Exactly the same pipe/muffler on my 430.

As blown67 said, nice project. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Congrats. It looks solid and complete.
As eveled said, You'll come to appreciate the steering brakes.
Yes, they will shorten your turning radius when needed, but they will also act as a limited slip when you apply just enough brake to a spinning wheel to stop it from spinning. Pretty neat.
Cub Cadet "Cadet Yellow" (also refered to as "old cub cadet yellow) #759-3258 is a perfect match to origional (...unless it's a 1972, as I found out :)) and Rustolium "Canvas White" is very close for everything white.
Craig Seabrook for hood, pan, etc. decals. The most accurate in color and finish I've seen. [email protected]
There should be a header/down pipe that runs from the head to just above the pan of the motor. This will place the muffler low on the tractor. I forget if the pipe is a Gravely or Kohler part. You'll see where the muffler ends up in the picture of the 814. Exactly the same pipe/muffler on my 430.

As blown67 said, nice project. Good luck!
All depends on when it was built. Gravely 400s came with them both ways. They also came with 3 types of mufflers. The pipe is Gravely as there is no crossover to a Kohler number in my Gravely-Kohler-Gravely list.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Tractortag : Very nice looking machine , I really like the look of those new tires ! Do they work as good as they look ?

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Tractortag : Very nice looking machine , I really like the look of those new tires ! Do they work as good as they look ?
I'm very happy with them. They're Carlisle All Trail tires. They are really ATV tires. Two popular GT sizes available are 23x8.00x12 and 23x10.50x12
The 8.00s are very close in overall width/circumfrence to the oem 8.50s I replaced.

I went with the narrower 8.00s for better snow traction. I plowed without using chains last winter. They worked very well in the snow. I'm going to try using them with a blower without chains this coming winter.
They work well in dirt too. And they're still easy on the lawn (no divots, etc)

And nice looking 140 in your avatar. Don't tell anyone here, but I'm refinishing a '71 140 H3 myself. :hide:...:)

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
All depends on when it was built. Gravely 400s came with them both ways. They also came with 3 types of mufflers. The pipe is Gravely as there is no crossover to a Kohler number in my Gravely-Kohler-Gravely list.
Don, I'm surprised the Gravely mounted any of their mufflers high since it just seems to make sense running them low with a header pipe. I would think that there would be heat build-up under the pan. (Maybe a good thing in winter?)
When did they mount them high? My '68 had a header pipe when I bought it, and an older 424 (with the old starter/generator) that I borrowed years ago also had it (unless the down pipe was added at some point).

Demax, I looked up the parts numbers, thanks to Old Gravelys.net
The old Gravely parts #'s are as follows:

Header Pipe- 311199A2
Gasket - 411202PL
Bolts (flange to head)- 9421705
Lock Washers- 120204

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tracktortag

Thanks for all the information. I had is running ok today, shut if off and then it wouldn't start, after some trouble shoooooting, I thinks I need to replace the ignition coil.
I would change the muffler if I keep it along with cleaning and painting all around.
Don, I'm surprised the Gravely mounted any of their mufflers high since it just seems to make sense running them low with a header pipe. I would think that there would be heat build-up under the pan. (Maybe a good thing in winter?)
When did they mount them high? My '68 had a header pipe when I bought it, and an older 424 (with the old starter/generator) that I borrowed years ago also had it (unless the down pipe was added at some point).

Header Pipe- 311199A2
Gasket - 411202PL
Lock Washers- 120204

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts

Header Pipe- 311199A2
Gasket - 411202PL
Lock Washers- 120204
Far as I can tell, the threaded nipple version was only made in the early 1967 models or if you added the liftable rear hitch. The hitch interfered with the bent pipe exhaust. Pg 8 of the Owners Manuals for the 400 series shows the high mount muffler installed. http://oldgravelys.net/pdf/400_Series_Op_Man_0370.pdf Gravely kept the threaded nipple version on the Onan singles until later. Your guess about being warm was likely why they changed them.

Your header pipe should be 11199A2, new number is:
9/22/2010 Ariens Service Part Availability
2:26:35 PM
Part Number: 21366200 HEADER,EXHAUST WELDMENT Product ID: GRAVELY
Qty Required: 1 Qty Available: 20 +
List Price $: 73.20 USD

Discount Code: Stocking Code: 0 Service Status: Standard Pack:

Location Available
DS-JASPER 20 +

Some also use
9/22/2010 Ariens Service Part Availability 2:39:23 PM
Part Number: 20279700 HEADER,EXHAUST Product ID: GRAVELY
Qty Required: 1 Qty Available: 20 +
List Price $: 83.75 USD

Discount Code: Stocking Code: 4 Service Status: Standard Pack:

Location Available
DS-JASPER 20 +

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
tracktortag

Thanks for all the information. I had is running ok today, shut if off and then it wouldn't start, after some trouble shoooooting, I thinks I need to replace the ignition coil.
I would change the muffler if I keep it along with cleaning and painting all around.
I'd go ahead with changing the muffler, etc., and cleaning/painting it since you will become attached to it for being the great tractor that it is, and keep it. :)

·
Frank M
51 Posts
nice find.i have some spare parts kicking around if you need anything.you know where im at.frank.

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Frank,

I do need a solid state ignition coil, control cover plate and seat pan.
Just PM me if you have anyone of those.

Thanks
Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts