My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father in law purchased a Rhino SE15 batwing mower a few weeks ago. It’s in very good shape for a 96 or 97 model. When we went to pick it up, the wings were down on it. We used the gentleman’s tractor to fold the wings, and load it.

I noticed both wing cylinders leak and need rebuilt or replaced.

This is where I’m confused at what could be going on. When I went to raise the mower (center cylinder) hydraulic fluid shot out the vent plug on that cylinder. It wasn’t a tiny amount either. It shot quite the stream.

We got the mower loaded and home. After unloading it, I hooked up the hydraulics to our tractor to play around more, and again it would **** fluid out that tiny little hole in the vent plug.

These are single acting cylinders.

So, looking for help or suggestions on what might be going on. Trying to decide whether to have these cylinders rebuilt, or whether to buy new. My local hydraulic shop quoted $80.00 labor per cylinder, plus parts for each cylinder to rebuild. He was guessing worst case scenario $140.00 per cylinder to rebuild.

If it’s a smarter decision to replace, where is a good place to search or purchase new single acting cylinders.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Single acting cylinders are pretty cheap depending on the size. I've bought from bailey: Welded

And Surplus Center: Single Acting Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

Don't forget to check Bailey's front page. They have a couple codes going on, 1 for free shipping, the other for 25% off MSRP. Use which ever one nets the best deal.

If you do order make sure you get the right thread size and type of fittings to fit your hoses. I googled and educated myself about fittings for hydraulics and figured out what I needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thank you!

I’m only speculating that it has single acting cylinders. The main left cylinder that raises and lowers the mower only has one hydraulic hose that plugs into one scv on the tractor.

The wing cylinders each have one hose coming off them, and they Tee together and a single hose goes up to a second scv

I’ve looked all around and having a hard time locating single acting tie rod style cylinders. The ones that are on the mower now have a threaded rod on the end where the clevis can be adjusted some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts