My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a portable generator that I use for emergency power. I curious about switching from gas to run on propane because of fuel stability of gasoline. Anybody have first hand knowledge on the pros and cons of doing this?

thanks, Dave

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,072 Posts
I have considered changing over to NG. My gas pipe runs about 8 feet from where I place the generator, so that part is no problem. The carburetor has to be partially disassembled, some parts changed and some passages drilled out. I don't think I use it enough to justify the project. I just burn out the gas and/or add fresh gas every time I test run it. Here's a link explaining how to change the carb over to gas:

http://www.propane-generators.com/carb-conversion.htm

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, been doing some digging around a found that site as well as some others.

There is another method that I'm going to use, still allows gasoline to be used. A conversion kit is available that uses a sleeve that mounts between the air filter and the carb. The kit doesn't require mods to the carb except drilling a hole in it and inserting a vacuum port, this attaches to a emergency cut off should the engine die. The sleeve extends the air filter out about 1 1/2 in. so some frames need to be modified, my doesn't from the looks of things.

http://www.propane-conversions.com/generators/

These are the only folks I've found that actually answer the phone or return phone calls. :banghead3

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,072 Posts
That kit looks like the better choice. You wouldn't have to do too much modification of the carb. :fing32:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about to place a order, I'll post some info as I go through the process. I'm a bit surprised about vendors and websites out there that sell the stuff. I found 4 on the net, of them only one answered the phone...no body else even returned my phone calls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts