My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading a lot of the threads on hard cabs, and I have a idea that might help when fitting a cab.

I'm talking about the front end of the cab and how to seal that up.

Looking at this picture.

On the drivers side door post near the area where the bottom of the windshield is, about that height put a hinge, then go down a ways and put another hinge.

Then you make your front cover to fit then add the hinges.

In this picture.

The rubber that goes around the windshield is pretty good sized and you could take something like that and put in along the edge of your front piece that rests against the hood.

Also the hinges I mentioned you could get the type that you can remove the pins, this might make it easier for fitment or as a end result also.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Poster board comes in 22 x 28 inches as a rule but you can get it in different sizes, I use the 22x28.

You can bend poster board and make it keep its shape pretty good, anyway long enough to use it to make something out of metal.

You don't need any sheet metal brakes or crimpers or what have you to make all kinds of different bends in sheet metal.

Heres a piece I bent up a couple of years ago and put it on a car forum, its off my website, its all done with some angle iron, clamps and a vise and hammer.

I'll show it to you here.

http://www.1969supersport.com/sheetmetal.html

Heres the finished piece if you don't want to look at all the pictures.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delays in this post, my computer is kind of slow tonight in case anybody is looking at this.

Anyway you could make the front cover for one of these cabs out of wood or metal or whatever, but the poster board is about 50 cents a sheet and it will work really good for a pattern.

I hope I explained this okay or it makes sense.

I'm talking about the front cover in this picture, the cover that has the heater hose coming out of the bottom.

Rob

·
4 acres of fun!
138 Posts
I think I am following your work. Looks great by the way.

Perhaps you could post a picture of that part of the cab before and after for comparison? :fing32:

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is awesome, thanks for posting.
I really admire someone that can do form metal like this! :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Could some one separate the area just below the windshield that has the heater hoses coming up, its that whole section that is kind of shaped like a pyramid and give me a full size picture of it on here.

Rob

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may try to make that piece and the one on the other side of the cab out of metal, but for tonight I could use that picture to explain it a little better.

If I make it to fit my x728 then all the x700's would have the plans to make it out of metal, wood or plexiglass.

I would need to make it in 5 pieces of poster board, then tape that all together then lay it out on probably 3 pieces of sheet metal .

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I'm waiting just in case someone feels up to getting me that picture, heres a chart I made up a few years ago for a car forum, it gives you sheet metal thickness of a 60's muscle car or cars of that era.

http://www.1969supersport.com/smthoughts.html

A few of you guys have a 110 mig welder or access to one, so if you made that part out of sheet metal you could make it out of the same thickness as a cars floor.

You have to be carefull welding sheet metal because it will warp way out of shape but you can weld it with a series of short welds spread here and there to cool.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Here you go Rob- This part, right? If you need it larger , send the bigger file ( whole picture) to my e-mail.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Marlboro and Rob good to read guys working together and helping out.

I couldn't help but notice the quote under Marlboro 's posts.

I heard it with a funny twist from a female. Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you get rid of him on weekends.

Good work Yamadoo aka Mark

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the picture from Brian, but what I wanted to do on here won't work as I originally thought it would.

Its going to take a lot of pictures and several part days to make these pieces, so I'll have to figure out how and when I can do it.

Right now I'm on hold to think the whole process through.

But I can say at this time working with poster board is a good way to work with metal.

Rob

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thanks for this project Rob, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts