My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need to rewire the votage regulator. I found the 2 wires coming off the engine but they don't make it all the way to the voltage regulator so my battery went dead.

Anyone know which connectors the wires go to?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The two wires coming from the motor have to go to the regulator/retifier, the third wire goes back to the battery (through the ignition switch) for charging. In my shop manuel, the wireing diagram shows the b+ terminal going to the switch, the other two terminals are both marked rc and go to the motor.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so they are marked on the regulator? It is in a tight spot but I'll go look at it. Thanks!

Now, which terminals do I use on the switch? I thought it went straight to the battery.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The wire from the regulator/rectifier goes to the R terminal on the ignition switch. Two nuts hold the rectifier on, 7/16" I think, it's actually mounted in a heat sink(the metal finned part). Be careful not to break off those two studs when removeing the nuts, I had to soak the ones on my 1855, then they came right off.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm looking at the regulator, I see 3 plugs but can't see any markings. 2 are side by side and one is on top.Does yours look this way?

Also, my ignition switch has been changed so it doen't have any markings either

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
My original regulator looked like that yes. I'd have try and find my old regualtor to be sure but the two side by side should go to the alternator on the motor and the other terminal to the switch. The letters on the ignition switch are small, stamped into the back cover by the terminal.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a wire running from the battery to the switch already. Could I tap into that?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
NO. I'm looking at the MF shop manuel wireing diagram now. Originally- battery + to starter solenoid to 20 amp circuit breaker(auto reset type) to ampmeter to B terminal on ignition switch. The regulator needs to have switched 12 volts, in other words, no power to it when the key is off. It would run the battery down if power was to the regulator when the engine is off. What I have found on my 1450/1650/1855 is that the way the factory wireing is, it puts a lot of load on the ignition switchs B terminal when useing the frt PTO and lights(I've got extra work lights on mine). I put relays in for the lights and for the PTO clutch after repalceing the second ignition switch because the B terminal had overheated and lost contact with the switch. That was four years ago, no trouble since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts