My Tractor Forum banner

Review of the John Deere Z425

90K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  RebeccaK 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll do my best to write a review of the Z425 zero turn mower from John Deere for you guys. I took delivery of my mower yesterday from Ray's Lawn and Garden in Sellersburg, Indiana. This is the second mower I've bought from this dealer, and they are second to none in customer service.

The Z425 has the 23HP Briggs V-Twin engine on it. It runs smoothly as well as quiet. I've been used to this engine, as it is the same engine that I have on my GT5000 and it has given zero trouble over the years I've had it. I've always had great service out of every Briggs and Stratton engine I've ever owned. Accessibility to the engine is very good, obviously since it is right out in the open, but the oil filter and drain plug is right there and no frame issues to work around.

The controls of the mower are within easy reach, the throttle, ignition switch, hour meter, choke and PTO are on the left hand of the seat on the console, along with two cup holders and an open storage tray. The parking brake is located on the operators left hand side and the deck height control is on the operators right hand side, with a "memory" that consists of several slots that allow you to slide a pin in/out in increments of 1/4". The pin also incorporates a 13mm wrench in one end of it to facilitate adjusting the tracking bolts, which are conveniently located on the front panel on the right/left sides of the machine, so no additional tools are needed to adjust the tracking of the machine.

The control arms are very adjustable, with slots to adjust forward/backward to suit your reach/belly overlap :D, as well as additional holes to raise and lower the control arms for taller/shorter individuals. The seat is a medium-high back seat, comfortable enough with adjustable height arm rests.

The deck is the 48C Edge deck with a built in wash out port. The top of the deck is easily accessed for maintenance and cleaning by simply raising the floorboard, allowing you full access for greasing, belt maintenance, cleaning of the top of the deck, etc. The floorboard, I should mention is fully treaded to prevent slippage as well, and I talked the dealer out of a slick JD logo floor mat to enhance the look, as well as protect the finish of the mower floorboard.

The cut of the 48C I found today to be immaculate. I have always read about the fine cut of the JD 48C decks as compared to other JD decks, and I have to agree that this is one fine cutting deck. It seems to move clippings on through for discharge with ease and with little buildup. In fact, when I was finished mowing today, I ran the mower up on ramps to clean it out, and there was so little there, I just took a rag and wiped the deck clean.

On my dealers recommendation, I won't be using the wash out port. He said he just wasn't impressed with it, and that too many people used them incorrectly, causing spindle bearing failure prematurely, so that will be a feature that goes forever unused on this mower.

The fuel tank is 3.5 gallons, and for my 1.5 acre yard, I used about 1/2 tank (give or take a little). I can't really give you a time on mowing, as I know I took longer to mow getting used to the controls and learning how to maneuver around trees and objects, but I'm sure as I settle into using the mower, the time savings will be measurable.

The rear tires are
22x9.50-10 which gives you considerable stability on sloped areas, and the front 13x5.0-6 caster wheels reduce bounce and smooth out the ride as well. The front bearings are sealed ball bearings, reducing maintenance.

I did learn about keeping a bit more distance when close to ditches and how the caster wheels like to track on their own when on a slope, as I found my front end wandering to the ditch when I first started. The zero turn concept is one you truly have to get used to, but once you do you catch on pretty easily.

I'm sure I left out a few things, and you can feel free to ask me any questions you might have, but I am tickled to death to have made this purchase. John Deere has done themselves right getting into the residential zero turn market. The Z425 has separate Kanzaki pump and Parker wheel motors, avoiding the integrated pumps that the box store models tend to have.

I highly recommend the Z425 for anyone looking for a reasonably priced, yet well built zero turn mower. I believe it will prove to be money well spent for me over the long haul.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tom,

Thorough and nice review! :thThumbsU Hope she gives you years of good service! :)

#3 ·
911radioman:

Very nice looking machine and thanks for the review (well written). I too hope you continue to love your new machine. I have never driven one so I don't know anything about them, but they interest me. Fine looking unit! :fing32:

#7 ·
I bought a z425 in June 17, 2007. It has less 25 hours. Last month, June of 08, it stopped running. Took it into the local service center, they said we had bought inferior gas; we bent a rod; it will cost $500 to get it repaired; neither the manufacturer nor our extended warranty will cover the expense. We are in total shock, we have know way of no of controlling whether we will have this issue again. Other then that, we love the tractor. But, as far as we are concerned, this is a pretty big deal. How can anyone justify a $500 bill everytime you buy inferior gas?

#8 ·
Mary,

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: When you say local service center, is that a JD dealer?

#10 ·
yea, never heard of bad gas bending a rod....

#11 ·
Having built, rebuilt engines as a hobby for the past 35 years both small and large, bad gas would never bend a rod.

We run a z425 in our landscaping business along with a 997, as noted in the review they are a sweet machine and I personally do not have one complaint with it.

#12 ·
Would this tractor work well for spring clean ups?(towing the aerator and dethach)is the bagger pretty durable? I'm staring up my own lawncare company, nothing too big 10-15 acreages a week. and i originally was looking at a new Z925A MOD but that option would cost alot more then one of these tractors. does the Z425 have the guts to do it?

#13 ·
David, go with the Z445 2010 model with the Kawasaki engine, picking up mine next weekend.

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm guessing "rod" = intake pushrod. They will bend if stale fuel causes a stuck intake valve....and that can only be due to bad fuel. At shutdown the stuff basically turns to glue in the hot engine and seizes everything solid. Seen it happen on B&S and Kaw engines in recent years.

Back on topic, nice review OP. FYI, the rubber floormat has been standard on all EZtraks since 2009 model year.

#15 ·
It seems "Mary" is a one post phenom. A problem on top of a review makes you suspicious of the honesty and intent behind the post . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.