My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tryed reversing the rear wheels to get a wider stance? If you did, I would like to know how it worked for you.
Is this a good alternative to rear wheel spacer kits?
I know the valve stems will be on the inside.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Depends on what machine you have. Lug nut style mounts should be reversible, but the key and snapring style may not be. ( mine are not reversible on my LX188 )

Don't know about all wheel steer models.

With ag tires you want to switch the wheels from one side of the machine to the other to keep the tire lugs oriented the same, rather than just turning them around.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The manual for my 317 talks about doing just this to achieve a wider stance. I have not done it, but at least on my machine it was designed width(punn intended) that in mind.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Super Moderator
33,629 Posts
I have done it on my 318 and 322 and it does make a difference and should save you from buying wheel spacers. But, if you had to squeeze in between any space before you may not get there after changing spacing!

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
I have done that while mowing my friend's hilly field and it was a little bit harder because of the turning radius. It seemed to put more stress on the front and rear axles as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a X585 and want the rear wheels wider for mowing my ditch.
Are the rear wheels reversable?

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
my 318 came with the wheels reversed. Hint:
GET LONGER VALVE STEMS for the tires. mine are a PITA to fill up...might help though if i fixed the leaks:)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have a X585 and want the rear wheels wider for mowing my ditch.
Are the rear wheels reversable?
Yes they are,just unbolt them,turn them around and bolt them back on.I run them in the wide position on my 345 because I mow some side hill and it gives a wider stance.If you have ag-lug tires you can still switch them over to wide but you need to also switch them side to side on the tractor because of the directional tread.With some mowers you also need to do a slight change to the left rear guage wheel and the manual gives good detail on that,either way its not a big hassle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I reversed the rear wheels on my JD 260 a looong time ago in order to get more stability on a slope. Works fine as far as I can tell. The 260 rear wheels are like a car/light truck... they bolt on with lug nuts.
jjc

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes they are,just unbolt them,turn them around and bolt them back on.I run them in the wide position on my 345 because I mow some side hill and it gives a wider stance.If you have ag-lug tires you can still switch them over to wide but you need to also switch them side to side on the tractor because of the directional tread.With some mowers you also need to do a slight change to the left rear guage wheel and the manual gives good detail on that,either way its not a big hassle.
Thanks brother! I'll give it a try.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
470 Posts
yes I have my x485 in the wide position just un bolt them and flop them from one side to the other.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
Thanks brother! I'll give it a try.:thThumbsU
Would you mind posting before and after photos as viewed from the rear of the tractor? I'd like to see what the difference is.

I look at the rear wheels on my X720, and I can't figure out how flipping them would make a wider stance? :dunno:

So you take the wheel off, rotate it 180 degrees, and stick it back on the same side? The wheel looks deep dished to me, and flipping it looks like it would make the stance narrower? What am I missing here?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
On both my 332's they pretty much stay in the wider stance.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Would you mind posting before and after photos as viewed from the rear of the tractor? I'd like to see what the difference is.

I look at the rear wheels on my X720, and I can't figure out how flipping them would make a wider stance? :dunno:

So you take the wheel off, rotate it 180 degrees, and stick it back on the same side? The wheel looks deep dished to me, and flipping it looks like it would make the stance narrower? What am I missing here?:dunno:

You flip it so the outside of the wheel will now be inside. The mounting point in the wheel is not centered, it is offset 3/4 of an inch. when you flip the wheel, the outside sticks out 1.5 inches more on each side giving you a 3inch wider rear track.
Perhaps yours have always been in wide track position.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Interesting, didn't know this was a thing. Is this do-able on the 455? Any extra stability I can get with my hills is a plus.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Interesting, didn't know this was a thing. Is this do-able on the 455? Any extra stability I can get with my hills is a plus.
Yes you can reverse the wheel and gain an inch of width. I know it doesn't sound like much but looks like more than an inch.:fing32:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cool, I'll have to look at how mine are set up. With my grade, I'm looking for every advantage I can!

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
on the ole 3 series it makes a LOT of difference!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts