My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good running 19.5 opposed twin briggs engine - i broke off a head bolt and I broke off a head bolt. Planned on fixing it but I think theres just no way to do it reliably at this point. So I have a new block. It needs to be bored out probably .020 to clear some minor pits in the cylinder wall.

Since the old engine was running fine, is it OK to reuse the crank and rods? (no new rods or machining the crank)? I dont see any reason why I couldnt, but thought i'd ask.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,915 Posts
You probably can. When I am doing that extensive work, boring the cylinder oversize which means new pistons as well, I do put in new rods and save the old ones if good for some less extensive a project. IF the crankshaft looks OK, it probably is. Of course you will be doing a valve job as well.

Walt Conner

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
If it were me, Id reuse the old rods and crank, but making for 100% certain they go back on in the same orientation as they came off. Of course oversized pistons and rings will be needed. Gaskets, and cut the valves and seats, lap them in good.

Before I did anything Id remove the valves on the new block and make sure ALL the valve seats are TIGHT and not loose. That was one of the few little things the briggs opposed twins would do that would ruin a block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.