My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tractor Aficionado
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has a 10HP Tecumseh engine SSI and i work on kohlers i would like to get it going for my father because he has not a clue about how to fix it any tips would be great

·
Tractor Aficionado
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a restored jd 112 with a 10hp techumseh SSI engine that has no spark and i cant figure it out ive ruled out the coil and the ground to the coil anyother suggestions will be highly appreciated Thank you Nathan N.:thanku:

·
Super Moderator
32,620 Posts
Points and condensor would be my guess on it. Check to see if the points are opening and gapped properly. Also check that your condensor has a good ground and the wire is in good shape. It's amazing how much trouble that little thing will cause!

·
-
1,829 Posts
No points, solid state ignition.

I'll take a gander at my tech manual to see what they list for troubleshooting when I get home. I know there's two pins on the flywheel that need to be gapped properly to trip the ignition module.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I am a little late to reply here, but the SSI unit is probably dead. Here is a link to the write up I did on a HH120 motor. This is the best way to fix this in the long run. A new coil is stupid expensive, used, and may fail.

Keep in mind, the SSI is a two part system. There is a charge coil on the stator coil that can fail and not charge the SSI as well. The conversion removes that part as well.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=102364

BTW, when you send the SSI coil (and if you like, the stator coil) to him, he will test the parts. Stator coils are easy to buy on e-bay and if your SSI is ok, you may be able to replace just that. Ed has a test set up to make sure that the coil is bad before he convertes them. On mine, it did have spark for a while and then would die. This was shown when Ed did a long term test to see if the spark held up. :fing32:

I think he charged me $25 to test and convert the coil, and if you go to a junk yard, you may gain all the parts and a wire harness for about $25.00 Grab as much harness going to the ingition block as you can, it will give you a factory plug and should be enough to connect the ends directly where they are needed. :fing32:

·
-
1,829 Posts
Shoot, I completely forgot about this thread. Do you still need help with it?

Also you could wander over to www.weekendfreedommachines.com and take advantage of the vast John Deere knowledge there, it's a JD only site. Lots of experienced folks there too. There's also a classifieds section/parts wanted that can help you find parts if need be at good prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts