My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bothering me since I've taken this hobby up. People advertise a "restored" tractor only to find out the wheels that should be white are black or the seat that should be red is black. I guess I'm a purest but I believe the word "restored" is used much too loosely. To me, restored means the tractor should look just like (or very close to) what it looked like sitting on the dealer's floor. After all, I don't think car guys call a street rod a restored car, do they? I'm sorry if I'm making too much out of this but one of the purposes of the hobby is to show people what these machines of yesteryear looked like in real life. I'm as guilty as the next guy when I talk about my restored Pond. Truth is, it's painted up. The red and gray are way off in shade but it looks nice. I just saw someone selling a "restored" Case 442 I think it was. Had orange wheels. I don't know much about Case tractors but I've never seen one with orange wheels. In fact, the whole thing was orange. Everything. Does this even matter? What do you guys think?

·
15,000 +posts!
20,460 Posts
I prefer "Refurbished"--that means the worn things were replaced or fixed,and it might have new paint,but not nessasarily the "correct" colors or factory two tone,etc...
I agree "restored" should mean "put back to factory specifications"..no modifications,alterations,or "custom" paint or colors..many people think "restored" is the same as "refurbished",but its not..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Same here Jeff. I use the term "facelift" a lot for tractors that have been cleaned up and repainted. Refurburbished is a good term for rigs that are cleaned up and have some improvements and mods. To a serious purist restored even requires original type nuts bolts and washers!

Needless to say, I'll never own a restored tractor! Really don't want one! I use all my tractors...no garage Queens here!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Survivor
Refurbished
frame off restoration & refurb

and in regard to cars and other automobiles:
Concourse restoration.

When it comes to cars, you can have a car that originall came red, and paint it another proper car and the restored car is still restored.

But if you want a concourse restoration, EVERYTHING needs to be correct, right down to the proper overspray where it was from the factory. Inspection markings. The proper sheen where it is required. Struts the right colour. Anodized parts the right colour. bare metal parts look correct, etc.

In many cases, even a custom car may need restoration as part of its buildup.

You can have a tractor that was completely torn apart and sandblasted etc and reassembled with the proper grade bolts and some off-the-wall colour and still be restored.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I prefer "Refurbished"--that means the worn things were replaced or fixed,and it might have new paint,but not nessasarily the "correct" colors or factory two tone,etc...
I agree "restored" should mean "put back to factory specifications"..no modifications,alterations,or "custom" paint or colors..many people think "restored" is the same as "refurbished",but its not..
I agree!!!!

Refurbished is a much better term. I curently have seven JD Lawn & garden tractors in my "herd". Although some are very close to "original", I have made some changes in most of them to suit my needs (or wants).

I take them to several area shows & find MOST of the "correct police" don't know what they're talking about anyway! ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,460 Posts
Though its always nice to have anything thats 100% "factory original",I think the show car (and probably tractor) circuit go to too much extreme,and are so anal about everything being "perfect",it takes away from the enjoyment of having a classic or muscle car,or anything else.."Purists" can ruin it for you sometimes!..

I've sold parts,vehicles,etc, at,and attended hundreds of swap meets,and many times ,as noted,an "expert" will walk by, and proceed to point out
" incorrect" things ,or a blemish,etc..it got to the point you felt like your only there to be insulted or ridiculed,because you didn't have the exact factory carb on your muscle car,the right knobs on your radio,etc..or made to feel you "ruined" it because you swapped in another engine,etc...

I DRIVE my vehicles,tractors,and if I want to modify or alter them to improve performance or handling,I feel its MINE,I should be able to do as I please with it,without having to listen to a purist complain about what I did..One guy in particular, who dissed my choice of rims on my 69 GTO at a car show cruise night,got to me.. (I had Cragars,he insisted the "correct" factory Rally Wheels with red stripe tires,were what BELONGED on the car!)--I said "well,I'm sorry if you dont like it--when YOU own the car,then you can put whatever YOU like on it for wheels!..he didn't like that reply,and walked away muttering to himself..others standing nearby agreed he was a jerk!..

Eventually I tired of going to those events,too often people would pick your car apart,or worse,crawl all over and IN it while you were off looking at the other cars!..I returned one night to my car after I went to buy a soda at the snack bar,to find a woman trying to hurridly wipe off ice cream her kids smeared all over the car,and on my SEAT,eveidently the kid jumps right in my car and pretends he's driving it!--steering wheel was all sticky,and man,I was livid!..I learned to LOCK my car up tight if I walked away from it,I also had some lowlife swipe dash knobs and an ashtray out of one of my cars I had on display ,luckily I found a car at a junkyard that still had them!.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There is a term used in the auto industry that I like. It is "restomod" which means that it is restored but with some changes. Usually changes made to the auto that were commonly dune to the same car in the era it was built in.
I think that it would apply here to.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
In the 'large vehicle world' that my antique lives in, 'restored' means down to the chassis with correct items used in rebuilding it. It also requires constant vigelence against being touched.
I restored my vehicle to be used. It has the nicks and scratches from tools being dropped or muddy boots missing the step plates. It has almost 'correct' lights for the year of manufacture, but those could have been replaced by the previous owner(s) several times over, or replaced when they were broken off.
The engine is original, BUT, an updated oil filter system was added for the service it was used in. It is updated to 'new world' conditions.

I think T-A's comment about the red striped rims was right on. You like what you have. It's your vehicle (or tractor).

My tractors will never be restored. They should be glad that I have matching tires on them, with the tread facing the same direction, most of the time. The paint will be miss matched, but close enough for me. Under all that mud, grease, and grass clippings, you'll never know the difference. They run, they cut the grass, they haul the manure (or wood), and they plow the snow.

I've never seen a 'restored' (100% perfect) tractor (or truck) haulling manure thru the swamp muck hole out back, let alone hauling wood or stone that will scratch the paint off most anything.

'Restored' vehicles ride in enclose trailers, stay out of the weather, covered by silken covers, and are never touched by human hands at shows. Their paint is perfect, and heaven help the dust that falls upon it.

I think instead, they should be classified as 'used, but not abused', 'trailer queens', or 'original, never to see the light of day'.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My thinking: it was restored once, it can be restored again. Might as well use it and enjoy it.

On the other hand, NOS is only NOS once.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My car, my tractor, my way. You may offer suggestions or ideas but, if you have a $hitty attitude you may get a $hitty response.

·
2,261 Posts
Really does it matter,if a person takes the time to fix up a tractor,clean and paint it up,let him call it restored or what ever ,these are not $$$$ cars where taking about ,this is a hobby for most of us and lets not #iss on somebody elses projects.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
This has been bothering me since I've taken this hobby up. People advertise a "restored" tractor only to find out the wheels that should be white are black or the seat that should be red is black. I guess I'm a purest but I believe the word "restored" is used much too loosely. To me, restored means the tractor should look just like (or very close to) what it looked like sitting on the dealer's floor. After all, I don't think car guys call a street rod a restored car, do they? I'm sorry if I'm making too much out of this but one of the purposes of the hobby is to show people what these machines of yesteryear looked like in real life. I'm as guilty as the next guy when I talk about my restored Pond. Truth is, it's painted up. The red and gray are way off in shade but it looks nice. I just saw someone selling a "restored" Case 442 I think it was. Had orange wheels. I don't know much about Case tractors but I've never seen one with orange wheels. In fact, the whole thing was orange. Everything. Does this even matter? What do you guys think?
I have seen a lot of orange case tractors.I have seen a 442 with orange wheels there is one on Ebay right now.There is a 222 or something like that on Ebay that is orange with white wheels.Case was all orange for years then went to the desert sand gold or what ever they called it.Now there red with silver wheels.Maybe you meant the wrong shade of a color not sure.

To me if its repainted and look good and is at a show its restored but thats just me.If it was painted with a rattle can or paint brush or over rust and looks terrible or the wrong color.Then its a bad attempt at a restore.But thats just me and is just a term used for a fixed up from bad shape tractor.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I restored/refurbished my 1964, 110 and I like it. I also like modifications if they're done right and they look good when finished. slkpk

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Iffen it gets new belts cuz the old ones are in bitty pieces in the weeds, and you clean out the mice nests, and it mows grass again, is that a "partial restoration"?

Last week I saw an unrestored 50's Corvette. The paint was dull, the steering wheel plastic was cracked and crazed, the fiberglass fender has a 2 inch crack in it, but the guy refused to touch anything because it is absolutely in totally unrestored condition, amazing shape for a 50 year old machine.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I agree with you. As far as I'm concerned, restoration means returning the entire tractor back to the way it was when it rolled off the assembly line. I was at a tractor show today and someone had a "restored" 224 Case. Actually, it was a really nice restoration but the guy just couldn't help himself, I guess. He put one of those Case decals depicting Old Abe (the eagle) on each side of the lower part of the hood. In my opinion, a stupid move. All of his efforts were wiped out by adding something that was never there when the tractor was new.

FYI, a Case 442 was only made for a few years. The hood, fenders and seat pedestal should be painted Desert Sunset, a beige colour. The rest of the tractor, including the rims, should be painted Power Red, which is a very orangey red colour. So, it the whole tractor was orange, then it is painted incorrectly.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lots of good replies, thanks. Here's a link to the Case tractor in question. Maybe it is right (correct colors, etc.)?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/1265197360.html

There were some good points brought up, particularly if a guy fixes and paints his tractor, let him call it restored. Chances are, most people have no clue as to what's right and what's not. Ever have a one of a kind modification on your tractor or a home made implement and have someone come up to you at a show and proceed to tell you how their grandfather had one just like it? What I was after was, how do people view the word "restored" and I think the responses are all over the board to a point. Seems to me there are different degrees of a restoration. While I agree that the guy walking around the show nit picking on every incorrect nut and bolt can be very annoying, there is a certain justification for it. To stand in front of a tractor that looks like it did when it rolled off the assembly line 50 or 60 years ago is a wonderful learning experience for me. That said, would I actually know that it was correct right down to the nuts and bolts? Quite frankly, no.

I used to be into cars. Never had a show car but I was like every other young boy out there with big dreams of having an awesome car to drive. I quickly leanred that it wasn't going to happen and got into tractors. What I liked about tractors (I grew up around them and learned to drive on my old Pond) is that they didn't have to be perfect. I can stand and enjoy looking at a field beat old tractor in original condition as much as I can a beautifully restored (or refurbished) tractor. I just love them. To me, they are works of art with or without their battle scars. My real beef is with the guy who paints his John Deere pink and purple and calls it restored. Maybe it is restored mechanically but not cosmetically in my eyes. Different degrees of restoration. I just believe that we as collectors have a resposibility to make the tractor as accurate as possible when calling it restored. Someone told me once that a certain fella did an awesome job restoring a John Deere 50 but he got the "50" decal on at the wrong angle. Are you serious? Wow, when we start getting that picky I think it's time to leave the hobby.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for the responses guys. It has been enlightening.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts