My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went out side to day to do some work on the 19.9 in the work shop. The SS/16 was kind of in the way, So I decided to fire the old girl up and move it outside. So I pulled the choke and cranked it... Nothing. Tried again... Still nothing.:dunno:. I checked the fuel tank.. 1/2 tank, Ok that answers that I thought. So I dumped some fuel down the carb and gave it a crank. It ran good for a second and then it started popin' and fartin' and belching black smoke like crazy. I knew right then it was another intake problem. This happend before last year, It sputtered and raced up and down terribly unless the choke was 90% closed and 1/2 throttle. It turned out that the gaskets that seal the intake to the block were toast. This time it was the intake manifold itself. I could see the air/fuel mixture puffing out the sides of the intake while it was running. I could barley keep it going, The vacuum leak was so bad. So I took the manifold off and split the two halves and scraped all the old sealant off. The sealant was so dry rotted, I could rub it off with my finger. So cleaning it I applied some RTV and put the two halves back together, then pressed them together with some clamps. Now all I gotta do is let it sit over night to let the RTV cure. Hopefully the onan will be breathing properly again tomarro. Oh well, Stuff happens. Here's some pics. - Brad

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
sounds like your float is stuck. Always the first thing I check when it does that- it could run fine when you shut it off, then let it sit and the float will swell up and not move- it will either flood or not let gas in.

Did you ever put a brass float in it or are you still running a crappy fiber one?

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like your float is stuck. Always the first thing I check when it does that- it could run fine when you shut it off, then let it sit and the float will swell up and not move- it will either flood or not let gas in.

Did you ever put a brass float in it or are you still running a crappy fiber one?
James, The carb has a brass float in it. The carb should be fine. I completely disassembled it last year. When I first got the tractor It had fuel delivery problems. The needle seat was dry rotted, And the fuel pump would overwhelm the needle and flood the carb. Since then I put a brass float in it, Adjusted the tab on the float to raise the needle properly, And put a new needle and seats in it. The tractor was getting fuel this morning, Its just that the bad vacuum leak in the intake caused a very lean air/fuel mixture and wouldn't fire. - Brad

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
DIRT Dog and I cut out gaskets for our leaky intakes, we drill out all of the studs and use small bolts, to hold the intake together. It works like a charm. when I build a carb on a onan, I allways check the intake for leaks.
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I resealed my intake in Oct with RTV... no complaints

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DIRT Dog and I cut out gaskets for our leaky intakes, we drill out all of the studs and use small bolts, to hold the intake together. It works like a charm. when I build a carb on a onan, I allways check the intake for leaks.
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
Yeah I should have checked it while i rebuilt the carb last year. It ran like a song after the rebuild so I just didn't bother messing with anything else at the time. I may end up drilling out the old rivets like you said. I have a felling that the intake may expand and contract from the engine's heat and break the seal again if I don't. The rivets snapped right into place, So I'll probably try it as is to see if the RTV solved the problem first, If it does work I'll drill out the rivets. - Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.