My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
I do think we have taken this to the extent the subject needs to be dropped before the powers step in and stop it for us.
Form rules are form rules.
Agree totally.

If ya'll can't be civil to each other in here I'll lock this one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dflocks80 Gly was listed on its label because I read the ingredients label myself, it may be different now but in yrs ago it was in fact a Gly formula.
With all due respect, I believe you are mistaken in your recollection of the label. Herbicides used in "weed and feed" type products, especially of the slow-release pellet persuasion, either need to have pre-emergent activity or broadleaf-specific activity. Glyphosate has neither.

It seems like this discussion is coming to an end, but in the interest of full disclosure, I work in product safety for one of Monsanto's (now Bayer's) chief competitors. The company (and I, as a result) are actually benefiting from this glyphosate mess, because we are gaining market share on Bayer. Calling them for compensation, as suggested, would definitely violate the conflict of interest bit of my employment contract :p

With that being said, if there's ever any interest or questions about "big ag" and why we do what we do, I'm always up for forum rules-compliant discussion.

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
However, there is no weed-and-feed product that uses glyphosate, nor is there a slow-release pellet-type formulation of glyphosate. Glyphosate has to be absorbed through the leaves of a plant to kill it, so it must be sprayed.
It actually appears that there are glyphosate weed killer granules. Can y'all quit arguing about it now?

Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
22 Posts

Not clear if Big Ag will still be able to get it, or what kind of requirements or limitations might be placed on buyers.
Maybe the better thing to do is to get rid of the stinking lawyers that entice people to sue over anything including a splinter from a Chinese toothpick. Where I live we are bombarded with law suit lawyer commercials three, four & five all in a row every morning & every night. These are the lawyers who bring disgrace to their profession. I have had a number of lawyers over the past forty years & not a single one of them ever found it necessary to advertise beyond their phone number in the white pages. Maybe its because they went to quality law schools & not the Correspondence School of law.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I stopped using Roundup because use or overuse of Roundup weedkiller promotes moss growth very strongly .

The weeds were gone but I got a major problem of moss growth. I have switched to other brands of weed kiler and the moss problem seems to be going away.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I read one of the first posts that said, "don't they think we can read the instructions", or close to it. My Dad owned a Tree Service back in the days of DDT. He had his applicators license. Dad was a very rule oriented guy, I guess that's why I am too. Almost every other Tree company we knew, if the last job of the day called for 100 gallons of spray, and they had 200 gallons worth of 50% wetable DDT left, "hey, if one pound is good, two's better. I'm not putting that stinking stuff behind my seat", so in the tank it went. I have neighbors that weed and feed their own lawns. If it calls for 4 1/2, 50 pound bags, and they don't sell a 25 pound bag, they just buy 5 bags and spread it a little thicker. For all I know, the lawn care company I use does the same thing. People just think the little bit they fudge doesn't matter. I know I use Roundup quite a bit. My wife also grew up in farming country, and had Non Lymphatic Hodkins Disease at 21 years old, did nine months of Chemo. High doses of prednisone killed the bone in her hips. Had one replaced in 86, the other in 87, got 20 years out of them. Got revisions in 06 and 07, then again in 17 and 18. Did the Roundup cause all of her health problems? I don't know, but she's not jumping on the sue Roundup band wagon.

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
The Germans have proven this stuff even when applied properly goes air born and can travel hundreds of miles. It maybe banned for use in the entire UK in the near future. They meet in 2022 so near future is not that far away.
I can see lots of producer and manufacture market control resistance here before that happens.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts