My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 281016be snapper rear engine riding mower with elec start. Is there a way to adjust the disk drive? It has a new disk (dealer installed) but it feels like it could have better contact when I have it in low speed.

I have the owners & parts manuals for it but did not see how to adjust it. If you have a page number that shows how to make the adjustment, that will help a lot.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Do you mean the rubber driven disc? If so the disc itself,doesn't have an adjustment,but the spring can be strengthened or loosened ,by way of several holes.The shifter assembly can be adjusted to place the "bushing" on the chain case at the right place in relation to the yoke and the "speed" position on the drive disc. Someone should send you the 07012 Service manual,it's for earlier models but still helpful on the newer ones.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the rubber driven disc? If so the disc itself,doesn't have an adjustment,but the spring can be strengthened or loosened ,by way of several holes.The shifter assembly can be adjusted to place the "bushing" on the chain case at the right place in relation to the yoke and the "speed" position on the drive disc. Someone should send you the 07012 Service manual,it's for earlier models but still helpful on the newer ones.
I saw the spring adjustment in the manual. What does it strenthen when you make an adjstment to the spring?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,165 Posts
Tightening the spring tension increases the pressure between the metal drive disc on the engine crankshaft and the rubber driven tire.

A couple of things here. Do you have the "Easy Start" clutch? I do not look things up from those number furnished. IF SO, does it have the liner inside the rim? Must have for Easy Start Clutch.

Also, might check the space between the top of the frame where the engine sits and the drive face of metal drive disc. Should be 3-7/8" - 4". Set screws in hub hold it.

Another thing, the "Shifter Yoke" may have places worn in it and not holding the same amount of pressure on the driven wheel in all speed positions.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The spring is the thing that presses the rubber disc against the drive disc,on the engine.The more you stretch it the more pressure. The yoke also helps hold the chain case and thus the rubber disc against the drive disc,and holds it,in the right position,along with the "gearshift".quadrant,which positions the driven disc in the position on the drive disc to create the proper "gear" or speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts