My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 331413KVE - Snapper 33" Rear-Engine Riding Mower, with a 14hp Kohler engine series 13 that I bought a couple of weeks ago. The mower is in great condition and everything runs great with one major exception.

The deck height in my opinion is way to low. I have to mow at setting 6 which when measuring blade to ground is at 3”. When I put the deck down it hits on the floor at setting “3. I have seen numerous posts on this issue on a bunch of different forums and haven’t seen where anyone posted a resolution. If they got it fixed they didn’t share the secret.

I believe the deck has been repainted and maybe the previous owner didn’t put it back together correctly. It looks like everything is where it is supposed to be, but other Snapper owners I’m sure don’t all mow with the deck at the highest level.
Thanks for any insight you can give

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
Also get a pic of your id tag on the unit (you cam also get the engine tag) so we can get those manuals also, here is the link for snapper manuals available.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Using the decks on these machines as steps often bend the lift arms. The deck should contact the ground at it lowest level but should still have tension on the lift chains. You may have to bend the lift arms back in place. I don't think there is a mechanical adjustment on them other than moving the chain to the next link. I remember having to bend the arms on the older models a few times to even get the deck to set level from side to side. Dropping the deck to the ground before getting on and off would be a good idea.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
According to most manuals on the Snappers the height on these decks only go from 1.5" to 4" over all. Had one a long time ago, Loved it, but it was way to slow for my liking to mow my property.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I bought a 33 Hi-Vac when they first came out decades ago and as I recall the deck on it did not raise very high even in the highest position. Heck the new Cub I have now has 10 deck height positions and I have to set it at 8 or 9 to give the best looking cut. Anything below 8 looks like the "flat tops" my dad used to give us boys every other Saturday night...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK - so I just snapped some pics...
I do have the manual and unless I am missing something just talks about side to side level. I cant see where anything is bent, but as you can see the deck is in the highest position and blade to ground is 3"
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
What does the threaded rod adjust in the 5th picture? It looks like it has been adjusted, the nut going more up on the threaded rod. Iwas hoping you post the labels for model number. Then we could get the exploded parts diagram showing the lift and all linkages.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
My RER is very different from your series 13 "square tube" model. But I found a sheet for it in the "rer manuals" section . Maybe it will help.
Scan_20191231.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After starring at these pics and parts diagrams for hours last night I think I may have stumbled on the issue. I believe that the Leveling Arm Part #7033008YP was put on backwards. Would / Could this add the extra height to the deck? Per specks I don't expect to get more than the 4", but at least I could go a little higher than the 3" I have now.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
Could be, can't really know because of being unsure about diagram orientation and the photo orientation for myself. If it is on backwards it could help change something because the cross bearing would be further out thus tighten/pulling more on the rod. But again I can't impress upon you we could help more if we could get specific manual(s) from snapper on your RER. There could be similarities (what propwash posted), but there could be huge differences also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Russ - I have the manual and have attached it here and page 11 talks about leveling, but unfortunately there isn't any more information than what propwash listed. I did verify that the leveling arm bracket is indeed backwards and will switch that around tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
So do you have those eccentric bolts on the front arms also? Looks like they should be there on the inside of the pedals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have one eccentric bolt which is on the left side sitting on the mower. If i'm not mistaken this is used for side to side adjustment which is almost perfectly level.

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
Not according to the manual, it is for adjusting front to back level. Unless I'm misreading the sections. Another thing I'm confused about is resetting the deck part in the next column. Wouldn't that come first, then the side to side followed by front to back?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The instructions flow together but when I split them apart i believe that eccentric bolt (just one) is just for side to side. Make no mistake about it I have been wrong many times in the past, and if I am now don't be afraid to tell me so. I am attaching the sections from the manual...

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not to be dumb, but have you checked the tire pressure? My neighbor continually scalped his lawn until one day I had enough and told him to bring his tractor over. Tires had 2psi in the rear and not quite 4psi in the front. Caused it to sit almost an 1-1/2” lower.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,799 Posts
I'm thinking you need to check by doing the reset of deck, but do that after checking tire pressures per manual not the pressure listed on tires. Your pic shows single blade with the high lift ears that are screwed on, so measurements will go by what is in the 2nd column illustration B, do you have cable or chains for the rear attachment of the deck? Couldn't see in pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the day off tomorrow so going to remove the deck, make sure air pressure is correct (20 front - 12 rear) turn the leveling arm bracket around and go through the steps of reinstalling and balancing the deck. I'll let you know how it comes out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts