My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds simple right? Here's the problem.

Its an 80s model and had a 5.0 HP Briggs & Stratton that would no longer run. Rather than fixing it and knowing it probably had a points type ignition system, the engine was taken off and thrown away.

This is probably about a 1980 model or so, KD50 non self propelled and so I guess back then, the 5hp engines had a 1" crankshaft. Today, the 5hp engines use a 3/4 or 7/8" crankshaft, so I cant use any engine I have to connect to the blower wheel.

What do I do? Are there engines built for certain applications that will have a 1" shaft?

Will a 25mm shaft work? I found an engine on eBay, tho it cost more money than what I wanted to spend, that has a 25mm shaft - 1" is 25.4mm so there is a 0.4mm difference.

Am I looking at replacing this engine with another old Briggs engine?

And finally the last option I can see is seeing if a blower wheel from a later Billy Goat will work. However thats also expensive as the blower wheels are about $150.

I have a couple good 5hp briggs engines from the mid 90s off of self propelled lawn mowers (thus having a longer shaft than the non self propelled mowers have) but they have I believe 7/8" shafts plus their linkage is set up for a lawn mower - kill lever takes one cable and the throttle takes another. The Billy Goat i believe is setup to take an engine that stops when you push the throttle lever all the way forward (or all the way backwards for STOP and all the way forwards for CHOKE, I dont remember now i'll have to go look)

So its all operated with one cable. I'd really like to have a motor thats like a Honda or a power washer motor with the stop, choke, and throttle controls all on the engine.

Any ideas?

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
I have one I put a honda on and it worked well. that is the engine they use on most of theirs anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep the new ones use Honda engines. A guy I do alot of work for just bought a brand new self propelled Billy Goat that has a Honda on it.

The problem is tho that mine takes an engine with a 1" crankshaft and the Hondas all likely have the same 7/8" shaft that all the other small engines use nowadays. You may have gotten lucky and had a billy goat blower wheel that takes a smaller shaft or you may have found a rare Honda with a 1" shaft.

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
The honda I got was free on one of their base model mulcher mowers. It has a 1" shaft have the original engine and it is good except the carb is dumping fuel and I cant seem to fix it. You could have a 1/16 sleeve milled to fill the space, then get an extra wide key to bridge the gap.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sure its not a 25mm shaft? I am starting to see quite a few engines with 25mm shafts - that 0.4 MM under 1". Probably not even noticeable....I am betting I need a 25mm shaft.

Edit: Thats exactly what I'm working on. Looks 100% identical to mine. I'm betting the Honda is a 25mm shaft but thats soooooo incredibly close to 1" that I bet they interchange just fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You could purchase a sleeve to slide over a 3/4" or 7/8" shaft to bring it up to 1" and mate it to the vacuum.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didnt know they made an adapter sleeve for doing that. It seems to me like it would affect the dept that the key rested in the keyway.

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
find yourself a non self propelled honda mower and it should be the right size. you will have to run the engine cables up the handles. Mine is going to be a 3pt to a trailer rig, or I will steal the blower housing for a big pto blower. cant decide.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didnt know they made an adapter sleeve for doing that. It seems to me like it would affect the dept that the key rested in the keyway.
I believe smaller shafts usually have a smaller keyway, if that is the case, you could also buy a stepped keystock.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had an MTD blower that I bought new in the late 90s; 5 HP Briggs horizontal. It too had a 1" shaft. If it is from 1980 I really really doubt its a metric shaft. Back then extremely little US made stuff was.... practically nothing beyond certain pieces from a mid sized GM, the cars famous for being half Standard and half metric.
Those blowers were under alot of centrifugal stress, its not surprising they used a stouter shaft. Can you use a 7 or an 8HP? I know, crankshaft height comes into play.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont see any reason why a 7 or 8 hp wouldn't work, in fact it might be nice to have a little extra power. Now If i could only find one.... I dont see many of those, either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts