My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Statesman mower made by MTD, model 699 that has a Briggs 20 hp opposed engine on it. Valve seat came out of the block and a head bolt broke and can't get it out. Is there a engine that will bolt back in place? so far the only option I have found is to buy a used block and reuse the rest of my parts, $150 for the block plus buying gaskets, rings or pistons, and etc.. Seen some new 17.5 hp engines for $519 which sound like a better choice but the shop said it won't work while another place said it would. Mower has a 46" deck and I wondered if losing the 2.5 hp would hurt that much. trying to do this cheaply as I really don't want to put much in a 11 year old mower ot buy a new one.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome Tom4018,
Is this horizontal or vertical shaft?

If vertical, shaft length and diameter are your two most critical considerations, as wiring and plumbing are easy enough to adapt.

There are thousands of those old opposed twins out there. I bought an LT1000 with no deck but a strong 20 HP engine for $150 for my MTD project.

Keep your eye on Craigslist and check around some of the shops.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Tom4018,
Is this horizontal or vertical shaft?

If vertical, shaft length and diameter are your two most critical considerations, as wiring and plumbing are easy enough to adapt.

There are thousands of those old opposed twins out there. I bought an LT1000 with no deck but a strong 20 HP engine for $150 for my MTD project.

Keep your eye on Craigslist and check around some of the shops.

Good luck.
It is vertical. Been looking and not found much but a used block so far for $150 so I figure it will cost me at least $300 to get her going.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts