My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to the site. Background - I have been rebuilding a few Murray and Craftsman tractors to become tugs for light aircraft. I strip the mower, engine, body and electrics all out, repaint the frame & body and reassemble with replacement parts (plugs, battery, solenoid, wheels, tires, muffler, drive belt, lights, hitches) and try to reuse the engines. Occasionally I have to reseal/gasket an engine, but the older flathead smaller HP Briggs are easy on the Murrays, the Craftsman Inteks can be a pain.

I have a doozy right now. She is a LT1000 w/ Hydrostatic transm and a blown 17HP Kohler. I got the tractor broke down and found the prior owner had cracked the frame, so a new one is on order - ouch.

Can anyone advise me how diificult it would be to convert from a CV490 Kohler Command over to a Briggs single or twin L-engine? The easy thing would be to throw a 20HP Kohler Courage, but I sure like the Briggs twin smoothness. I'm considering a Briggs I/C opposed twin that has the same 1" OD crank, but what about the electical system. I can overcome the engine control cables, but I'm looking for someone who might know anymore of the pitfalls. Thx.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Briggs I/C are good motors. Had a JD that got remotored with one ages ago, and it plowed snow up north for a good ten years before we sold it and may yet be running.

Then again, I did my research and recently bought a Kohler Courage powered Craftsman. I guess what I'm saying is, don't be partial to either brand. Both can get the job done just fine.

Those are some good lookin' airplanes too! I used to live in Houston and volunteer with the Commemorative (aka Confederate) Air Force down in Galveston. Lots of dirty oil drips, cleaning, and pushing airplanes around under the hot sun. Tractors would have been soooo welcomed! I think you're on to a great idea there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts