My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor runs right now.. knock on wood, but I have the idea of diesel in my head. I was curious how many large frames you guys have seen with non original motors.

Also.. how would I equate a diesel motors HP in comparison. I saw a 18 hp Onan diesel on ebay.. would it work on my 23? or should I keep with the same HP? If I do that... won't the torque be to great?

Thanks for the help. I just started worrying because I sold my 1811 cub mower yesterday.. now i'm on a time crunch to finish my bolens... if not the yard will look like a jungle. I have a knack for receiving bad luck too.. so I figured I should have a back up plan in the event something unexpected happens to the motor after my restoration of the tractor.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hey Nick,

Diesel conversions 'seem' to equate with 2/3rds of the original engine HP...or (i.e.) a 10 HP diesel will provide sufficient power and replace a 15-17 HP gas engine due to the torque values.

If you'd like to read up on some fairly impressive conversions try "Diesel Conversion" in the Search option. Very interesting and clever ideas from several members who've done the swap...or thinking about doing it!

Mark

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
And Bolens did a "diesel conversion" when they put a Wisconsin WD2-860 diesel twin into what is essentailly an HT23, and named it the HT20D.

Doug

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a diesel would be nice.. and it would probably run much more efficiently. I'm happy with the Kohler thats in it... but i figured I should see what options are out there incase I have to replace the motor. I hate the idea of replacing it with another gas unit... because i doubt I will find one that is as good? perhaps I am wrong for saying that... but it just seems that the newer motors are lacking compared to the older engines. I have seen alot of newer tractors that the motors probably wouldn't run as long... or be as durable. Then again.. neither will the tractors they are mounted in. I figured diesel would be the route to go...but finding one may be a problem. I'm not sure what to look for if I go with something military? I see alot of surplus motors on ebay, any suggestions on one that would make a good candidate. My other thing... whether gas or diesel.... does anyone in the US manufacture motors? I would like to keep the conversion american.. but i'm thinking this is less possible.

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Right now, I am working out a re-power in a Large Frame chassis using a Ford Industrial V4. The tractor was basically a stripped 1886, but with spares around the place, I think I can assemble a tractor that just needs an engine. I don't want to modify the frame or sheet metal. The V4 is really short, but I will have to work out a radiator that will fit in the front of the Bolens hood. Of course, I will want it to look like something that Bolens might have done in one of their stranger moments!

Doug

·
I bleed M-F red
787 Posts
now i'm on a time crunch to finish my bolens... if not the yard will look like a jungle. I have a knack for receiving bad luck too.. so I figured I should have a back up plan in the event something unexpected happens to the motor after my restoration of the tractor.
Thanks,
Nick
If you need this done quickly, a water cooled desiel is probably not your best option. It would be really cool, but I doubt it will go quickly.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't plan on doing anything motor wise... unless something happens to the kohler in it now. My thoughts were that the tractor is to nice to ever part with if something happens to the factory motor, so as long as I can keep it running and looking like new the better. I think eventually a diesel swap would be nice.

today I completed the wheels, chemical stripped the hood, finished painting the top of the mower deck and painted the deck hardware. Tomorrow I will prime the hood and sand it, prep the fenders for paint. Hopefully next week I will have time to spray the hood and fenders. After that I will just need new decals. I'm thinking maple hunter... but haven't decided for sure who I will buy from yet.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to take some updated pictures today. I will post them sometime soon in my restoration thread. I'm really slow at posting stuff compared to the ther members lol.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
if you want to buy right check out surplus center they have good prices on engines and alway check out the new arivials .

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
surplus center? where do i find that.... I'm posting pictures in my resto thread... I will take additional pictures in the morning as well. I ran out of day light and couldn't snap any more off.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have a Kohler Command 22HP v-twin that I plan to retrofit onto my 1455 large frame. My only concern is the depth of the motor compared to the original 14Hp Wisconsin. I may find myself wishing I had a 1886 frame to work with for the extra length.
I would like to find a little 2 or 3 cyl. water-cooled diesel motor someday, for a future project.

·
an effin canadian
549 Posts
I used to have a suzuki swift with a 3 cylinder gas, i think it was a 1.0 liter engine, and tiny, no longer than a loaf of bread. that'd be something

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Nick,

It looks like a nice project....

Diesel conversions 'seem' to equate with 2/3rds of the original engine HP...or (i.e.) a 10 HP diesel will provide sufficient power and replace a 15-17 HP gas engine due to the torque values.
I would agree with Mark's information. Last December I replaced a (very dead) 14HP Kohler with a 10.5 HP Chinese Diesel and I am very happy with the results. I now have about 25 hours on the new engine and it is a much better tractor with the diesel. Since you are replacing a 23HP gas engine, you will probably need more diesel engine that what I am using. I think your diesel conversion will be much more involved than mine was.

Good luck with the project,

Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts