My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an older Ariens with a friction drive wheel setup that is going to serve as my backup to my similar gravely with a robin EH18V since it has a lot of the same parts. It doesn't have a blade brake clutch. The tired Tecumseh TVS120 on it can't get through my taller grass without wanting to stall out.

I was looking at some of the kawasaki FJ180V (FJ180V-AM14M) from small engine warehouse. The one I am looking at doesn't have a flywheel brake. I should be able to wire up a kill switch to the ignition coil that could be controlled by the bail on this engine, right?

Other engine choices I was looking at were the predator from harbor freight and the fixed throttle FJ180V from SEW.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Probably. The FJ180V's on the LM21's I have, the throttle cable goes to a lever on the engine that does double duty.

It releases the brake on the flywheel.
It works a rudimentary switch to enable the ignition system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha.

Here is a picture. I can see where I think the throttle cable would go, and I imagine that ground wire with the red connector is what I would tap into for the kill switch.

1583442315096.png

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
It might take a bit of fabricating for that setup, as that's designed for a simple lever-style control, and the Ariens throttle lever is more of an operator presence lever, releasing it automatically turns the engine off and pulls the lever away from the handlebar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently down have a throttle lever, so I knew I'd have to add one, but I was hoping I could rig up something for the kill switch. I liked the idea of having a throttle, so I may just have to go for the engine with a fixed throttle and a flywheel brake to keep it simple.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I would just rig up a toggle switch some where and forget about the bail . too much work and fabrication. make shure whatever engine you get lets you re use the blade adaptor from the techumseh as this part is very pricey. -like 100-120$. I have done 3 ariens repower jobs so far on these 21,s having the throttle is important on an fj180v as its super powerfull and is nice to throttle it back when full throttle isn't needed. the ariens is easy to repower -provided you re use the ariens blade adaptor. its got the pully built in for the engine belt. love these mowers

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
one ither thing to consider is the fixed throttle kawi uses a primer bulb to start vs a choke. the primer is very frail and dosnt last long and is kawi specific and a pain to change. the choke carb is also much cheaper to buy should you ever need a replacement . good Chinese ones aval on ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
one ither thing to consider is the fixed throttle kawi uses a primer bulb to start vs a choke. the primer is very frail and dosnt last long and is kawi specific and a pain to change. the choke carb is also much cheaper to buy should you ever need a replacement . good Chinese ones aval on ebay.
Really? I used them daily for years, both styles (I think it was the earlier ones had the primer in the front, later ones on the side), and never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
they don't last but 2 seasons if lucky and the part is aval from Kawasaki only. its a poor quality part on an awesome engine

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Well, that hasn't been my families experience, with using them daily in a land cutting business for about 20 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good information on both sides of the coin. That makes sense about the more powerful kawasaki having a throttle.

After removing the Tecumseh, I found the breather, crankshaft seal, head gasket and bottom plate all leak oil. That is only about $15 in parts, so I may try to repair and see if the head gasket was leaking some of the compression. If not, I think I'm leaning towards the predator engine.

The Tecumseh has the splined shaft unfortunately so I wouldn't be able to use the adapter or pulley on an engine swap. Seeing what some of those parts sell for, I may try to sell on ebay to recoup.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
yes that blade adaptor is so expencive -it makes you think twice. I would try to patch up the Tecumseh and hope its got decent compression after repairs. also check ebay for a used adaptor. they pop up sometimes.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
repowered my scotts ariens with a kawi fc150 from a silver deck 14sb. bbc deleted -ran the carb tru the ultra sonic cleaner -ran but surged. replaced low speed/idel jet and its perfect now. this is the 3rd ariens /kawi repower I have done. sure beats the crappy briggs intek

1 - 13 of 13 Posts