My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What up forum? I joined this forum so I come share this project with you. 20 Year ago I bought my first RER Snapper. A 1970's 28" with a little 8ph B&S on it. After about two years the Briggs died and I replaced it with a 15HP OHV Tecumseh. It ran like a dream for the next 17 years. All I did was replace belts drive disks and blades every once in a while. Finally the 28" deck wore out and I decided it was time for something newer and bigger. I ended up with a mid 90's 42" Craftsman LT1000 with a 16.5hp Kohler motor. This mower sucked.... Every time I went to mow it was another pile of parts that it needed. Belts, blades, pulleys, spindles, battery, relays, switches, a front axle, a steering box.... Just a pile of junk... But the motor was strong.

After 3 year of running the Craftsman I decided it was time to go back to Snapper. This time I wanted the best of both worlds. The bigger deck and strong motor of the LT1000 but he simple reliability of the Snapper RER.

So I bought this Extra Tough 42" Snapper for $150. It runes and idles fine but this original 1988 Brigs can't handle much or a load.

Now starts the process of swapping the 16.5 HP Kohler onto the Snapper. I'll update as soon as I have something to show you.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sounds like a good project. Please keep us updated

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it... the old "Home Improvement" fix...….MORE POWER!! Interesting upgrade to the snapper, should give you lots of power.
Yea, that's the idea. I'm not really looking to mow super fast. I just like having enough power to mow the high grass without bogging the motor down. More is more!! :tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both motors are off and I’ve managed to swap the main drive pulley. If you’re familiar with the snapper drive system you know that it is critical to install the drive pulley The correct distance from the motor mount.

I’m happy to report that the shaft size is identical as is the bolt pattern for mounting the Kohler onto the snapper. That means I won’t have to be drilling any extra holes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Have you tried Kohler's website?
In 1968 dad bought us a 30" I believe 6hp. A couple years later the engine went and was replaced with an 8 hp BS. It mowed grass 5 days a week for many years. Even mowed the thistles on 60 acres of pasture one summer. Took a week. For a little mower it was a beast.
When dad retired from farming my little sister and hubby end up with it and was used as a trim mower for many years. Was finally retired about 4 years ago.

How are the axle tubes holding up? If need be would be a good time to replace them while the engines out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The axle tubes look ok. There is a lot of oil under there but I think that was from the vet leaky Briggs motor. I'll investigate further if I manage to get this thing going.

I’ve already got some new blades and a new drive disk to put in.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, I got it to start and even cut about 100 feet. It’s pretty impressive so far. The alignment for the drive wheel seems to be working perfectly. I have all six forward gears and reverse without making any further adjustments. Here’s a shot of how I set up the throttle cable. Keep in mind some of this is just temporary.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to say with no muffler this thing is painfully loud. I’m going to have to try to figure out how to rig up a new exhaust system. But there’s not much room. Check out this custom shift ball that was on the mower when I bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I have one with a Kohler, so you can get a 'factory' or after-market muffler that will bolt up. I would consider routing the throttle cable to the other side, perhaps flipping the attachment to the carburetor plate(it will work in 'reverse', I think, from normal push/pull), and bringing it up near the shift lever. Or not, but it is a reach to get back to that side.
The engine is a Kohler Command CV16, and information is available on their site. You do have to search a bit. Some may be in the small engines section here.
I wanted more width, so I went the other direction, finding and re-furbing a Craftsman. It has been pretty good to me so far. It now does the majority of the cutting, with the Snapper used for sloped and less-smooth areas.
The Kohler should have no problem with the load and should give good service.
If you want to see a more factory install, look for a 33148KVE Snapper, a series 8 square tube, and that will show the muffler that should work.
tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have one with a Kohler, so you can get a 'factory' or after-market muffler that will bolt up. I would consider routing the throttle cable to the other side, perhaps flipping the attachment to the carburetor plate(it will work in 'reverse', I think, from normal push/pull), and bringing it up near the shift lever. Or not, but it is a reach to get back to that side.
The engine is a Kohler Command CV16, and information is available on their site. You do have to search a bit. Some may be in the small engines section here.
I wanted more width, so I went the other direction, finding and re-furbing a Craftsman. It has been pretty good to me so far. It now does the majority of the cutting, with the Snapper used for sloped and less-smooth areas.
The Kohler should have no problem with the load and should give good service.
If you want to see a more factory install, look for a 33148KVE Snapper, a series 8 square tube, and that will show the muffler that should work.
tom
That throttle cable position is definitely temporary. I’d like to put it where the original one was but the cable isn’t long enough. I like your idea of moving it to the opposite side. That may be the best solution.

Thank you so much for the information on the series 8 motors. A quick search and I think I’ve found a picture of one 14 HP Kohler powered SR 1433. Now I need to do is find a part number for this muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Searcy: Your RER is a 4112X6S which means from the factory it had the 41" deck ( a lot different from the later 42" deck) , a 12HP Briggs with electric start , and it's a "Xtra Tough" model (X) which means it has the "ball bearing" rear wheel bearings ,the "8 pinion" differential and a few other heavy duty parts. the forum has a parts and also a
service manual covering this exact model.

·
Registered
788 Posts
With the muffler situation, is it possible to mount it with the muffler aiming the other way? Looks like it's aiming toward the seat and while I've never repowered anything, I'm thinking maybe it could be flipped 180 degrees?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm not a Kohler guy , but I searched a little and learned That Snapper used mainly 14 and 15 HP engines , I saw no manual showing a 16 or 16.5 HP engine , but probably not much difference. The P/N for the muffler is 7019358YP. I would post a photo but my computer/scanner isn't co-operating.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts